shoplifting..please help urgently

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• shoplifting..please help urgently

I am house wife and this is my first offence and ashamed to say that I got a Misdemeanor 484(a) P.c. ticket recently for shoplifting from a JCPenny store in Los Angeles for $18. Now the court date is fixed for 8th June 2011 but i already made travel arrangements to India on 26th May 2011 which is just two weeks. I am tensioned/nervous and having sleepless nights.
    Please guide me how to get rid of this issue ASAP so that i can plan accordingly.
    1. Is there a possibility to pre/Postponed the court date?
    2. What actually will be the complete process?
    3. What could be appropriate fee for Attorney to handle petty theft case?
    4. How much will be the court fine?
    5. Is it possible to complete all this process in two weeks else I will end up losing $1000 for cancelling my family flight tickets?
    6. Which attorney should i choose in Glendale area, CA?
    Please mail/text/call any time to this numbers. Your advice or contact details are highly appreciated.
    [email protected]/818-288-3352

Getting over with it quickly and in haste might cost you a lot in the future. Do not do that. Do get a good attorney and get the case dismissed (best outcome) or reduced to a petty offense like loitering etc.

If you get the conviction (even community service is counted as a conviction), it will have serious consequences for visa and immigration and also at POE.

Read other threads on the forum for details. Here's one example.

I am not a lawyer and you need to consult with one to validate any info posted on the forum and discuss your case specifics. H1b Question? Read the FAQ first.

Comment

I am sorry about this inicident. Please can you update what is the current situation

Comment

H4 Stamping with open shoplifting case (felony)

I have been charged with grand felony (theft of $284) in VA and was taken to police station for finger printing. After finger printing I was released without any bail amount but asked me to appear in court which I did (Along with my criminal lawyer). My preliminary hearing date is on 18 Jan 2012.
        I had travelled outside US due to some personal reasons (I did’nt have any travel restrictions outside VA/USA in court order) and currently outside US.
        I was in US on H1 for 3 years till sep 2011 but now I am planning to return to US on H4 visa and need to get H4 stamped and have following questions regarding the same:
        1. What are the chances of getting H4 Stamping approved?
        2. I have been charged but not convicted as of now (since my prelim court date is Jan 18th 2012) Can my visa be denied?
        3. How can I come back to US?
        4. Can lawyer get my charges dismissed or convert them into misdeamenor without my presence in US at the time of preliminary hearing?

I am trying to return back to US for court appearance to clear charges against me as it was really an un-intentional incident and want to clear it forever ( I do not have any previous criminal or any kind of record). My husband is on H1 in US and child is US citizen?

Please help

Comment

Need urgent advise

Hi all, I was recently charged with a misdemour shoplifting and have to appear I court in March. I am currently ona h4 visa that expires in october. From all that I am reading it is clear that i need to hire a lawyer. I have no idea on who to hire though. Should l look for someone with a criminal defense background? Or someone with an immigration background ? Not sure who I need to go with. Can you please help with any advise. I live in Atlanta. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by sitter4 View Post
            I have been charged with grand felony (theft of $284) in VA and was taken to police station for finger printing. After finger printing I was released without any bail amount but asked me to appear in court which I did (Along with my criminal lawyer). My preliminary hearing date is on 18 Jan 2012.
            I had travelled outside US due to some personal reasons (I did’nt have any travel restrictions outside VA/USA in court order) and currently outside US.
            I was in US on H1 for 3 years till sep 2011 but now I am planning to return to US on H4 visa and need to get H4 stamped and have following questions regarding the same:
            2. I have been charged but not convicted as of now (since my prelim court date is Jan 18th 2012) Can my visa be denied?
            4. Can lawyer get my charges dismissed or convert them into misdeamenor without my presence in US at the time of preliminary hearing?

I am trying to return back to US for court appearance to clear charges against me as it was really an un-intentional incident and want to clear it forever ( I do not have any previous criminal or any kind of record). My husband is on H1 in US and child is US citizen?

Please help
            Can you please update your status. Did you apply for H4?

Comment

Hi

[QUOTE=sitter4;254433]I have been charged with grand felony (theft of $284) in VA and was taken to police station for finger printing. After finger printing I was released without any bail amount but asked me to appear in court which I did (Along with my criminal lawyer). My preliminary hearing date is on 18 Jan 2012.

Can you update what happened on your court date, were you able to dismiss your case?

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
              X