shipping companies to India

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• shipping companies to India

I am moving permanently back to India. I would appreciate if people can point me to good shipping companies for my household good?

secondly, what do I with my TV? Do I need to get a PAL to NTSC converter? If so which one?

please help.

shipping companies to India

UPS/ Fed Ex won't accept your stuff to ship to India. Most of the other shipping companies are a scam.
    What I did was to pack everything together in huge cartons from UPS. And then send them through Lufthansa Cargo. For 6 of LARGEST BOXes [available at UPS], I paid around 600 bucks.

Comment

Hi

Could you please share more details about how you used Lufthansa cargo to ship items.
      Did you book Cargo, load items, received in India, went through customs etc, yourself and picked up from airport. Can you share more info please.

Comment

Moving Goods through Lufthansa

Hi,

What I did, in June of 2008, was to go to Chicago Airport Cargo Area - Lufthansa Office. I told them I have packed stuff which I want to send to India. They asked me if there's any perishable item. I didn't had. They told me that they'll not pack the stuff so it should be amply wrapped.

I agreed and then gave them the boxes. They weighed the boxes and charged me at $2.42 per Kg + Fuel $1.15/Kg, Security $0.16/Kg. Total 3.73 per kg.

I was the receiver at other end too. Make sure you put in receiver name and address in India for which you can present a proof. Once goods are shipped in India [in my case at Delhi in 3 days time]; you'll get notification from local Lufthansa office on Indian mail address you've given at the time of booking. You go there and pay them around 300 INR for documentation. You'll receive a release letter.

After that, you go to the customs holding center. They also charge by the kg for storage, depending on number of days. Here inspector will open ALL your boxes and see if something is new and chargeable. Accordingly you pay all the fee, at the bank branch located in the premises itself. And free to go.

Some pointers:
        1. I found at the customs holding center that many people use this cargo service. Its common around the world.

2. You'll get NO information if you call up Lufthansa office in your city regarding this!!! I mean in US. I got to know it through somebody who had earlier send his stuff back home. Actually I was tensed and in great dilemma. This guy came in as a life-saver for us.

3. I got an custom clearing agent in India. They are too many touts on the premises too. However I engaged one through my contacts in Delhi. He charged me 2500 bucks. Plus around 500 tip for the agent who was working with me. Though agent didn't helped much. Actually I could have managed everything on my own. It was quite easy process at the customs. But then I was getting re-imbursed and he saved me hmm.. maybe 1/2 hour there. He knew everybody there.

4. It takes lots of efforts in locating your stuff in customs godown. It took me an hour or so. There was stuff lying for years together!! Also you might need to tip 100-200 to the staff/guards of the godown to get help in locating your stuff. Promise them before hand and then pay them once you find your stuff.

5. Engage a truck before going to customs office. You need it as soon as you get your stuff.

6. Everybody will expect tips in foreign currency. Don't get bogged down by that. Being a smart-*** helps a lot.

That's about all the process. I found it easy to ship my stuff.

Let me know if I can answer anything else.

Have a great day!

Kapil

Comment

Thanks for the helpful information Kapil. In that case, you obviously did not carry bigger furniture pieces I am guessing. What about those? Can you ship those too through them? What happens if you have say brand new unopened furniture pieces from IKEA? Would the customs in India charge for that and how much do you think would they take on each piece? Say a dining table set? I am just new to all this and trying to figure out all the options

Thanks in advance
          Ekta

Originally posted by getting_there View Post
          Hi,

What I did, in June of 2008, was to go to Chicago Airport Cargo Area - Lufthansa Office. I told them I have packed stuff which I want to send to India. They asked me if there's any perishable item. I didn't had. They told me that they'll not pack the stuff so it should be amply wrapped.

I agreed and then gave them the boxes. They weighed the boxes and charged me at $2.42 per Kg + Fuel $1.15/Kg, Security $0.16/Kg. Total 3.73 per kg.

I was the receiver at other end too. Make sure you put in receiver name and address in India for which you can present a proof. Once goods are shipped in India [in my case at Delhi in 3 days time]; you'll get notification from local Lufthansa office on Indian mail address you've given at the time of booking. You go there and pay them around 300 INR for documentation. You'll receive a release letter.

After that, you go to the customs holding center. They also charge by the kg for storage, depending on number of days. Here inspector will open ALL your boxes and see if something is new and chargeable. Accordingly you pay all the fee, at the bank branch located in the premises itself. And free to go.

Some pointers:
          1. I found at the customs holding center that many people use this cargo service. Its common around the world.

2. You'll get NO information if you call up Lufthansa office in your city regarding this!!! I mean in US. I got to know it through somebody who had earlier send his stuff back home. Actually I was tensed and in great dilemma. This guy came in as a life-saver for us.

3. I got an custom clearing agent in India. They are too many touts on the premises too. However I engaged one through my contacts in Delhi. He charged me 2500 bucks. Plus around 500 tip for the agent who was working with me. Though agent didn't helped much. Actually I could have managed everything on my own. It was quite easy process at the customs. But then I was getting re-imbursed and he saved me hmm.. maybe 1/2 hour there. He knew everybody there.

4. It takes lots of efforts in locating your stuff in customs godown. It took me an hour or so. There was stuff lying for years together!! Also you might need to tip 100-200 to the staff/guards of the godown to get help in locating your stuff. Promise them before hand and then pay them once you find your stuff.

5. Engage a truck before going to customs office. You need it as soon as you get your stuff.

6. Everybody will expect tips in foreign currency. Don't get bogged down by that. Being a smart-*** helps a lot.

That's about all the process. I found it easy to ship my stuff.

Let me know if I can answer anything else.

Have a great day!

Kapil

Comment

Originally posted by everma View Post
            Thanks for the helpful information Kapil. In that case, you obviously did not carry bigger furniture pieces I am guessing. What about those? Can you ship those too through them? What happens if you have say brand new unopened furniture pieces from IKEA? Would the customs in India charge for that and how much do you think would they take on each piece? Say a dining table set? I am just new to all this and trying to figure out all the options

Thanks in advance
            Ekta
            If you have a Transfer of Residence case then only "Used" items are given exemption. This link from Ministry of Finance website will give you exact info:

Hope it helps.

BR,
            Kapil

Comment

With the help of this thread I learned many things about shipping companies. This fact is applicable for all other shipping like , US, UK and Australia????

Comment

Originally posted by albertwilliam View Post
                With the help of this thread I learned many things about shipping companies. This fact is applicable for all other shipping like , US, UK and Australia????
                It depends. The US and Canada have similar regulations, but by no means does it apply throughout. Shipping particularities are adapted to specific trade and legal regulations.

Comment

When you are shipping to USA from India then you need to check the custom duties as well as the contents of the package to be sure so that they are not confiscated at the airport for you would be really disappointed it it happens so you need to be sure while shipping the particular package.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                  X