HELP-applying for F2, Husband is on F1-OPT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP-applying for F2, Husband is on F1-OPT

My husband is on F1-OPT which will expire on June 2012. Myself and my daughter is planning to join him very soon. He is currently employed and planning to apply for H1B as soon as we reach US. My doubt is that whether we should provide any supporting financial documents at the time of the interview since he is currently employed and getting paid? My interview is scheduled for the first week of Oct. Also, please let me know the important documents I should be carrying at the time of the interview. Has anyone got rejected when applying for F2 visa while on OPT? Thanks in advance!!!

Unfortunately, F2 denial is possible since you need to show strong ties to home country like property, job, family etc. for F2 Visa. Husband being on OPT makes it difficult, since you clearly have plans of staying rather than returning to home country. You will need convincing and true answers to questions like 'what will you do aftter husband finishes OPT, how will you spend time in the US since F2 is not allowed to study or work' etc.
    F2 denial will affect any future F1, F2 or B1/B2 application. But it will not affect H4 Visa application. If you have plans of studying in the US on F1 Visa, I will recommend not applying for F2 Visa and directly get H4 after husband gets H1 approval. If you have no such plans there is no harm in trying for F2.

I assume you both have dependent I-20's and bank statements showing funds shown in the I-20.
    Last edited by kabkaba; 09-27-2011, 08:28 AM.
    This is my opinion and not legal advice.

Comment

Re: HELP-applying for F2, Husband is on F1-OPT

Hi kabkaba,

Thanks for the valuable information you have provided me. But I still have doubt about the supporting financial docs. My husband is currently employed and he has sufficient salary to support us while in US. I will be submitting the original offer letter which states his salary also at the time of the interview. Still should I provide any financial docs? Sorry to disturb you with many questions. If the financial docs are mandatory i will have to start obtaining them. I thought that the financial docs are to clarify that we have enough money to support ourselves while the course of my husband's studies. My doubt is that why should we provide any financial docs since he is getting paid. Sorry if I'm disturbing you too much. Please let me know if the financial docs are mandatory irrespective of his salary.

Thanks In advance
      JNJ

Comment

Read your dependent I-20's. There is section where it shows the funds required and another section shows funds available and the source of funds. Generally it is expected that you show these funds in bank accounts (savings, checking, current, FD, CD etc.) Technically speaking future salary expectation is not an acceptable form of immediately available funds. But generally you will not be asked to provide any document at all.
        Prepare convincing answer for the questions above and be confident with questions about your wedding, how you met your husband etc. Confidence and genuineness is the key more than any documents.
        This is my opinion and not legal advice.

Comment

Originally posted by jnj View Post
          My husband is on F1-OPT which will expire on June 2012. Myself and my daughter is planning to join him very soon. He is currently employed and planning to apply for H1B as soon as we reach US. My doubt is that whether we should provide any supporting financial documents at the time of the interview since he is currently employed and getting paid? My interview is scheduled for the first week of Oct. Also, please let me know the important documents I should be carrying at the time of the interview. Has anyone got rejected when applying for F2 visa while on OPT? Thanks in advance!!!
          Hi dear, i was rejected F2 visa on 9th Sept 2011. VO asked me only 4-5 simple questions abt husbands studies and all. As per my research, we should be very confident while interview and go well prepared n should be fluent in answering rather than stammer. Should be able to prove our non-immigrant intent.

Please let me know about your interview in Oct.. Im also planning to schedule my next interview soon. Goodluck. thx.

Comment

Hi Everybody

Hi,
            I am going to apply F-2 Visa Interview for my wife some time in the mid of November. I am on OPT , working as a contractor in a E verified company. I have pay stubs for the past 5 Months. My OPT I20 is going to expire on Feb 28 -2012. I am assuming my wife's I20 will also expire on Feb 28 2012. My first phase OPT expires in APRIL. I dont know if this is the right time to send her for interview, as her I20 will expire in 3 Months

My university is well known. I am assuming it can be a plus for her.

Any advice will be highly appreciated.

Ladies who have been for the F-2 Visa Interviews, please do suggest me some tips. So that i can guide my wife for her INTERVIEW.

Comment

Hi,
              I am on F1 visa on OPT first period. My wife got her visa approved in 3rd try.
              There is no law that can halt you to get the visas. I have done so much research on F2 visas during my wife's visa process.
              What i learned is you need to visit them or apply atleast 2-3 times to get an approval.
              Mostly 1st & 2nd time they take it so lightly, but there are huge chances of approval during 3rd try.
              All the best...///

Comment

Originally posted by nytfox44 View Post
                Hi,
                I am on F1 visa on OPT first period. My wife got her visa approved in 3rd try.
                There is no law that can halt you to get the visas. I have done so much research on F2 visas during my wife's visa process.
                What i learned is you need to visit them or apply atleast 2-3 times to get an approval.
                Mostly 1st & 2nd time they take it so lightly, but there are huge chances of approval during 3rd try.
                All the best...///
                Hello nytfox44, Need your help please. My wife's visa got rejected first time saying that your husband has said in his F1 interview that he is not going to take you then how you can be given visa. Does this mean they will not give in another attempt also? Please guide me. The situation changed and I felt that I should take my wife with me.
                Thanks

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                X