Form 1040 12a child under 17 with SSN

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Form 1040 12a child under 17 with SSN

Am I right to think that if I have a child under 17 at the end of 2018 and SSN is coming soon, is better to wait to file the tax return with SSN and not ITIN?

This is the important information:
    Social security number (SSN) required for child tax credit. Your child must have an SSN valid for employment issued before the due date of your 2018 return (including extensions) to be claimed as a qualifying child for the child tax credit or additional child tax credit.
    Nov 2018 - Package sent - EB - Texas Service Center
    Day 1 - Package received at the lockbox
    Day 999 - Card delivered to me - Aug 2021
    ---
    All my posts are based on my experience or information I read on the forums or the USCIS website. I may be wrong. Please consult a professional.

Originally posted by Enub4 View Post
    Am I right to think that if I have a child under 17 at the end of 2018 and SSN is coming soon, is better to wait to file the tax return with SSN and not ITIN?

This is the important information:
    What matters is when the child gets the SSN. If the child gets the SSN before the tax filing deadline, including extensions, you can get child tax credit for the child (and if you have already filed, you can amend it to claim the credit). On the other hand, if the child does not get the SSN before the tax filing deadline, including extensions, then you cannot claim the credit.

This is my personal opinion and is not to be construed as legal advice.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X