Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changing employer on OPT

Hi,

I have been on my OPT for the last 3 months and signed a contract with a consultancy. But he has not been able to get me a project till now so my payroll is not running, although he has applied for my H1 visa. I completed Electrical Engineering from U.S but he has applied my visa as an IT consultant since I had IT experience from India. Now if I want to work for another company, NOT as an IT but electrical engineer; can I do that? But can another company hire me even if my visa was applied by some other company, since I am on OPT? And if after a month I get to know that I got the H1 visa, can it be transferred to this company without having any payroll from previous company?

You can work for any employer on your OPt in the field related to your study. The OPT becomes invalid from Oct 1st if H1b gets approved and you have to work only for the H1b sponsor after that.

You can transfer H1b to a new employer before Oct 1st if you have the receipt number or proof of approval.

I am not a lawyer and you need to consult with one to validate any info posted on the forum and discuss your case specifics. H1b Question? Read the FAQ first.

Comment

thank you very much.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
      X