Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OPT Extension

Greeting s Reader,

I am Mechanical graduate and working in Mechanical field. I work for big Mechanical company (client) through an agency (employer). My employer is E-Verrified and I have already applied for my OPT extension (for additional 17 months) to USCIS three weeks back.

Today Monday 8th DEC, my employer told me that Friday, 19th DEC 2008 is going to be my last day at client side, due to current economic recession. In mean time my employer (agency) & I will be looking for available opportunities.

Does this affect my OPT extension application which is pending with USCIS? Please advice on that.

Thank you for your time and consideration.

Thanks

OPT Extension

I am working through an agency who is my actual employer, with the client. I have masters degree in Mechanical and I am in same field. My current employer is E-Verified and I have already applied for OPT extension. My application was sent to USCIS couple of weeks back and my current 12 months OPT expires on JAN 13, 2009.

I am concerned if I lose my job (if my contract with my client ends due to current economic recession) before my OPT extension (still I will be employee of my agency , who is my employer), is there any affect on my OPT extension? I will look for new opportunities . But If my contract ends, how long can I stay "without pay" but employed with my agency?

Thank a lot for your time and consideration.

Comment

IF you lose the client, does it mean that the "agency" (employer) will let you go also?

Please confirm who is e-verified? The agency or the client?

There are also some limitations of how long you can stay "unemployed" on OPT with the new rule. Please read the text.
      Check out H1 FAQs first!
      http://www.immihelp.com/visas/h1b/h1-visa-faq.html

Comment

Agency (E-verified) will keep me as their employee

Thanks for reply.

If I lose job on client side, I will be employee of my agency (agency is my actual employer). Agency will keep looking new jobs for me. My agency is E-Verified. I have already applied for OPT extension with USCIS. If I lose my job and still employed with agency (without pay), does that mean I am unemployed. But if I lose job from cleint side (and continue as employee of my agency), do I have to inform my school?

I am aware of maximum number of days I can be unemployed. 90 in case of 12 months and 120 in case of 27 months.

Thanks for your help. Please let me know if you need any information further.

Comment

AFAIK you do not need to be paid during OPT, just be employed (maintain employer-employee relationship)
          This is my opinion and not legal advice.

Comment

Originally posted by kabkaba
            AFAIK you do not need to be paid during OPT, just be employed (maintain employer-employee relationship)
            Anyone maintaining the relationship would still pay during the period of employment unless it is LOA for medical reasons with documented proof (which would still be paid from the Short Term Disability)

I am not a lawyer and you need to consult with one to validate any info posted on the forum and discuss your case specifics. H1b Question? Read the FAQ first.

Comment

Some cheapo company that can't even use the right channels for advertising.

I am not a lawyer and you need to consult with one to validate any info posted on the forum and discuss your case specifics. H1b Question? Read the FAQ first.

Comment

Same situation

hey srikanth.

I am in the same sitation. Please let me know if u have got ur opt extended.

Thanks
                Mir

Comment

Hello,

I have a company that is e-verify, and they have not problems to apply for my OPT Extension.
                  My question is: Who does the aplication process the comapany or the school?

Thanks a lot in advance.
                  Last edited by nt07; 02-18-2009, 01:44 PM.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                  X