Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

90 day OPT period ending with no job in hand, What are my options?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 90 day OPT period ending with no job in hand, What are my options?

I am currently on OPT and my EAD start date was 06/29/2009. I haven't found a job yet and my 90 day period is about to complete. I have a couple of questions on which I am just not clear as to what to do. Please help.

1. Once the 90 day period is over and then I receive news that I've got the job during the 60 day grace period (say in Oct), am I still eligible to join the company then and resume my OPT status?

2. If I apply for a change in my visa status to H4, and then I get a job, can I cancel the H4 petition and continue with my OPT status for the reminder of the 12 month duration?

You should have talked to your ISO advisor earlier.
    More than 20 hours a wk volunteering activities (related to your degree) are counted as employment for the regular post-comp OPT.
    You don't have to change your status at all. Do some volunteering and keep looking for a job.

P.S.
    If you get a job during 60 day grace period, that would be invalid.

Comment

Originally posted by postoptcandidate View Post
      I am currently on OPT and my EAD start date was 06/29/2009. I haven't found a job yet and my 90 day period is about to complete. I have a couple of questions on which I am just not clear as to what to do. Please help.

1. Once the 90 day period is over and then I receive news that I've got the job during the 60 day grace period (say in Oct), am I still eligible to join the company then and resume my OPT status?

2. If I apply for a change in my visa status to H4, and then I get a job, can I cancel the H4 petition and continue with my OPT status for the reminder of the 12 month duration?
      Try looking for jobs in Non-profits or higher-ed(Universities) who can do your H1 at any point. In other words, they don't have to wait for Oct1st as the start date for H1. A good place to look for jobs in higher-ed is "higher-ed jobs.com". All the best!
      Note that this is not a legal advice. Consult your immigration attorney for the best upto-date information.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
      X