Question about working as an independent contractor as a student

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about working as an independent contractor as a student

Hello, I'm a international student going to school in the US, currently at home, in Asia I finished my freshman year 2 years ago and took a leave of absence and stopped school to come back home and deal with some family issues. My F1 visa is currently expired so I don't even have a US visa. I am planning to go back to school, however, this fall (2022). I need to apply for my F1 visa soon.

I was wondering, with my current conditions(no f1 visa, remote work, currently in Asia), can I work as an overseas independent contractor for a startup, part time, remote, and get paid. Not and internship or a job.

I've been hearing it would be fine for me currently since I'm not a F1 student or on any visa.(or not..?) But if I get my F1 visa soon to return to school, would that change? Because I've been hearing that as an international student with an f1 visa, I can't work as an independent contractor.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

You can neither be self-employed on an OPT or do OPT other than with a valid F1 in the US. However, it seems that you aren't in the US anymore.
    You can certainly work (subject to your home country's rules) for a US company either as an employee or a contractor from outside the US. I parked some of my Indian guys in commonwealth countries when we didn't get their H1B done before their OPT was up and let them work remotely.

Comment

I also thought of working as an independent contractor while on an F1 visa, but I heard that it's not allowed. It would be very helpful if I can do it because I am an essay writer and it's the best type of contract for this job. Anyway, if any of you guys need some help with an essay you can find me here https://samploon.com/free-essays/soc...l-imagination/ I like to think that I am really good at my job, and it would be a great loss for me if I wouldn't be able to work in this domain anymore.
      Last edited by Jean_Rodriguez; 12-30-2022, 05:00 AM.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
      X