Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OPT for the summer period

Hi guys,

I am currently studying in the USA. I would appreciate if you give me some advice how to sustain my visa status(F1) and at the same time to work in the USA during the summer period. I am a senior and the anticipated date of my graduation is the end of May, my visa expires on May 31, 2011. The thing is that after graduation I am planing to continue my studying and to obtain the MBA degree, that's why I will need to apply for the F1 visa again after my graduation.Will it be possible to work in the USA for the whole summer period until my MBA program begins at the end of August, provided I get the OPT in May or I am not able to start my MBA program until OPT finishes (all 12 months)?

Appreciate your help.

2 options I can think of

1) Get post completion OPT. Although the card is valid for a year, when you transfer your record to the new school, OPT will be terminated. So you are not allowed to work for 12 months with the card.

2) Pend your graduation date, and just take an internship course or something, and get CPT.

The thing is you need to transfer your SEVIS record to new school to apply for the new F-1 visa, which means that if you transfer it too soon, you also lose your employment eligibility at the same time. Talk to your international advisor at your current school and future school when you MUST transfer the record in order to get a new visa.

Comment

Thanks a lot. It is really helpful indeed.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
      X