Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Valid OPT, traveled home on expired F1 for renewal

Hi,

I am writing my recent ecperience hoping that someone may benefit from it. My situation was very complicated and I was under a lot of stress becuase of the same.

I completed my Master degree in summer 2010 and applied for OPT in May 2010. I was working as an Inetrn on min. wage for a small company when I had a family cricis and had to travel back home for the same. I was very scared since I was taking a big risk.. travelling on an expired F1. ( expired in august 2010)

It took me over 2 months to settele thinsg at home before I could appear for my interview. At the interview my concern was that the visa officer will not approve my visa since I just needed it for 3 months.

at the interview the VO mainly tried to scare and panic me by his sarcastic and loud tone. Firstly he said that my I-20 was wrong, and why had I taken 5years for a degree that was for 2 years ? If I had graduated? Where was my diploma? whats the company name? Where is the company?

I told him the I-20 was current and on the 3rd page it says so as well. I dindt try to lie or be dishonest regarding the 5 years it took me for the program, I told him that I was assigned additional courses by my academmic advisor.

My basic apprach was to be very calm, I had prepared for worse questions and trickier situations imagining the worse which I think helped

He was mean to me but I was granted a visa. The case of otehr family members didnt really affect my situation. But ... in all honesty try to be calm for the inetrview no matter whatever your situation may be.

I hope it helps someone out there Thanks!

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
X