Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question Regarding Travel After Receiving Green Card

Hi guys,

My wife and I live in USA and recently got married a few years ago. She now has a green card I believe and we want to travel to Korea or Philippines in the next few months or so. When we went to book the tickets online it was asking for a name to put in, and she doesn't have a US Passport (You have to be a US Citizen to carry a US Passport) and the name on her current Philippines passport contains only her maiden name, and not her current new married name. So basically I'm not sure what name to put for her last name on the travel airline ticket. I figure to put her new married last name instead of her maiden name, but I was curious if anyone else had an opinion on this topic or if there is a right or wrong way to go about this. Please advise if you have any suggestions. Thanks in advance.

Your's is a common question, especially from Filipino women who find it somewhat challenging to go to the nearest Philippines Consulate t update their passports with a married name.

First...she can travel with the passport in her pre-marital name, and the airline tickets should be purchased in that name.
    Second -- the Green Card is to get her back into the U.S. so she should also carry a marriage certificate to show how her name legally changed with a new surname.

--Ray B

Originally posted by teddyrose1999 View Post
    Hi guys,

My wife and I live in USA and recently got married a few years ago. She now has a green card I believe and we want to travel to Korea or Philippines in the next few months or so. When we went to book the tickets online it was asking for a name to put in, and she doesn't have a US Passport (You have to be a US Citizen to carry a US Passport) and the name on her current Philippines passport contains only her maiden name, and not her current new married name. So basically I'm not sure what name to put for her last name on the travel airline ticket. I figure to put her new married last name instead of her maiden name, but I was curious if anyone else had an opinion on this topic or if there is a right or wrong way to go about this. Please advise if you have any suggestions. Thanks in advance.

Comment

Book the ticket using the name on her passport. The green card is use only to get back to the US. Also, since her GC name is deferent from her passport always carry your marriage certificate with you. It happened to me before when I made a mistake. I booked my ticket using the names written on my green card and Japan airport questioned me about it good thing I brought my marriage certificate with me and my report of marriage( copies). And thankfully they gave me a boarding pass to from Japan to USA. Good luck.

Comment

Thank you Rayb & Jbee for your help with this so far. Unfortunately I already had booked the ticket with my wife's new married name. I tried to change it, but the website or airline wants to charge $100.00 just to fix this name change issue. It's really extortion for these airlines to charge an exorbitant fee for pressing a few keys on the keyboard. It's absolutely crazy to charge something so unreasonable for something as menial as this. At any rate, since my wife's married name will now be on the ticket instead of the one on her passport (her maiden last name), is there anything I need to expect or try to adjust going forward? Thanks again in advance for all your guys help. It is very much appreciated.

Comment

So long as you have the marriage certificate with her passport and Green Card while travelling, you should be able to talk your way out of any confusion along the way.

Some people who have had this problem report no hassle at all, while a few others are sometimes challenged by airline staff along the way, in or out.

--Ray B

Originally posted by teddyrose1999 View Post
          Thank you Rayb & Jbee for your help with this so far. Unfortunately I already had booked the ticket with my wife's new married name. I tried to change it, but the website or airline wants to charge $100.00 just to fix this name change issue. It's really extortion for these airlines to charge an exorbitant fee for pressing a few keys on the keyboard. It's absolutely crazy to charge something so unreasonable for something as menial as this. At any rate, since my wife's married name will now be on the ticket instead of the one on her passport (her maiden last name), is there anything I need to expect or try to adjust going forward? Thanks again in advance for all your guys help. It is very much appreciated.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
          X