No announcement yet.

Different work place and port of entry

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Different work place and port of entry

    I have my H1 visa stamped for an employer in Wisconsin (for an in-house project). But, I want to travel to California first to spend time with my relatives (a short holiday for a few weeks) and then move over to Wisconsin. I also hold a valid multiple entry B1/B2 visa. So, when I land in CA, will the immi officer at the PoE stamp my I-94 for a few weeks on B1/2 or for 3 years (upto expiry of my H1) on H1?
    Is there any rule that I have to travel to my work place the first time?
    Also, what all documents do I need to carry with me (apart from the offer letter)?


  • #2
    If you enter on H1b, it is important that you begin work soon and start getting paid. It is a MUST to maintain your status.

    At POE, you will be asked the nature of your visit. If you are coming to work, you should use H1b. If you are visiting, the B1/B2. If you enter on B1/B2, you cannot work for H1b employer.

    I am not a lawyer and you need to consult with one to validate any info posted on the forum and discuss your case specifics. H1b Question? Read the FAQ first.


    • #3
      That means

      Does that mean its best I go to Wisconsin first, start working and then take a short vacation (PTO) later (ofcourse I'd be paid during my PTO period).

      Regarding my other question, is it sufficient if I carry the Passport, I-797, I-129 and Offer Letter to the Immi officer at the PoE?