Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Passport renewal and driver's license issues

I have a couple of questions

- I am currently waiting for approval for change of status from F-1 to F-2.

_ Once I get my F-2, I need to apply for a change of status to H-4.

If I understand correctly, my passport needs to be valid for the duration of the new status.

-My current passport expires in one year. Do I need to apply for renewal. Is it possible to do it in the US and are there any risks

Secondly, what is the status of my driving license now. I have a Virginia driver's license which I need to convert to a NJ one. Can I do it while my VISA status is pending?

Thanks in advance!!

Originally posted by sushruta View Post
    If I understand correctly, my passport needs to be valid for the duration of the new status.
    Not true.

As far as DL goes, you need to ask the State that issues your DL. Each state has different rules as to what they accept and what they don't.

I am not a lawyer and you need to consult with one to validate any info posted on the forum and discuss your case specifics. H1b Question? Read the FAQ first.

Comment

Originally posted by txh1b View Post
      Not true.

As far as DL goes, you need to ask the State that issues your DL. Each state has different rules as to what they accept and what they don't.
      Thanks a lot for your reply. So I can apply for a change of status to H-4 without renewing my passport? That's great to know.

Comment

Passport can be renewed only 1 year before it expires.

I am not a lawyer and you need to consult with one to validate any info posted on the forum and discuss your case specifics. H1b Question? Read the FAQ first.

Comment

Originally posted by txh1b View Post
          Passport can be renewed only 1 year before it expires.
          I understand that and my passport will expire in July 2010. I would like to renew it a little bit later if its not necessary for my change of status application (F2-H4) which I have to do before October this year. So my concern is whether I can avoid the issue of passport renewal at this stage.

Comment

Why do you want to wait for PP renewal? It can be done by post and is a relatively simple process in the US.

It is your choice. You can wait till Oct if you wish to.

Comment

if you do apply for renewal passports it's better for your future traveling.

Comment

Originally posted by sushruta View Post
                I have a couple of questions

- I am currently waiting for approval for change of status from F-1 to F-2.

_ Once I get my F-2, I need to apply for a change of status to H-4.

-My current passport expires in one year. Do I need to apply for renewal. Is it possible to do it in the US and are there any risks

Thanks in advance!!
                Consider renewing your passport if it's expiring within a year to align with the duration of your new status. Check with your home country's consulate in the U.S. for passport renewal procedures. Verify state-specific DMV rules to see if you can convert your Virginia driver's license to a New Jersey one during a pending visa status change.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                X