Re-entering US with H1-B and passport expiring in less than 6 months

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re-entering US with H1-B and passport expiring in less than 6 months

I am a Venezuelan citizen currently living and working in the US under an H1-B visa.

I have a trip to Europe at the end of this month (April/2019) and given the dates of the trip by the time I get back to the US (May/2019) my passport will have less than 6 months of validity (October/2019) and my H1-B visa is also expiring this upcoming September/2019.

My company have plans to apply for H1-B renewal when I get back, but I am nervous about re-entering the US with a passport that has less than 6 months of validity, plus the visa expiration might be an issue too.

1. Has anybody had a similar experience before? If so, could you provide some details.
    2. Would you recommend not traveling at all until the passport/visa are renewed?
    3. Are H1-B visa holders exempt from the 6 months passport rule?

FYI, I cannot currently renew/extend my passport due to the political crisis happening in Venezuela as all embassies/consulates are closed for business.

Thanks for your help.

Originally posted by dmgr0108 View Post
    I am a Venezuelan citizen currently living and working in the US under an H1-B visa.

I have a trip to Europe at the end of this month (April/2019) and given the dates of the trip by the time I get back to the US (May/2019) my passport will have less than 6 months of validity (October/2019) and my H1-B visa is also expiring this upcoming September/2019.

My company have plans to apply for H1-B renewal when I get back, but I am nervous about re-entering the US with a passport that has less than 6 months of validity, plus the visa expiration might be an issue too.

1. Has anybody had a similar experience before? If so, could you provide some details.
    2. Would you recommend not traveling at all until the passport/visa are renewed?
    3. Are H1-B visa holders exempt from the 6 months passport rule?

FYI, I cannot currently renew/extend my passport due to the political crisis happening in Venezuela as all embassies/consulates are closed for business.

Thanks for your help.
    thanks for the information.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X