Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can SB-1 visa be used to travel in and out of the US while waiting for LPR card?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can SB-1 visa be used to travel in and out of the US while waiting for LPR card?

A person got an SB-1 visa and returned to the US. Can he use his SB-1 visa to travel in and out of the US while waiting for his LPR card?

If the visa has the text on it that says "upon endorsement serves as temporary I-551 evidencing permanent residence for 1 year", then the immigrant visa turned into an I-551, equivalent to a green card, until 1 year after your date of entry. And that I-551 can be used just like a green card for work and/or re-entry during that 1 year for an unlimited number of times.

This is my personal opinion and is not to be construed as legal advice.

Comment

How certain are you of this? My wife just entered on the SB-1 visa, but the procedures post US entry are very nebulous at best. Supposedly they are to send a new green card within 2 - 3 weeks, typically but after 3 weeks USCIS hasn't a clue what is going on. Our lawyer still believes the card will eventually come, but we need to travel back to overseas in the meantime if possible, as I am missing work starting next week.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
      X