No announcement yet.

DV2015 winner getting married after selection and changed country of residence

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DV2015 winner getting married after selection and changed country of residence

Hello,

My fiancé has been selected for the DV-2015 lottery (I applied too but was not selected). We have been together for 7.5 years and engaged since December 2013, and we intend to get married in 2015.

However, since my fiancé has been selected, we think it makes sense to get married before applying for the visa/interview so that I can go on his application as his wife. I am aware this can look dodgy to the consulate officials, and that we would need to take proof of our relationship (photos, joint bank accounts, bills, etc.).

One problem is that we are currently travelling and will be away from our home country for the foreseeable future - we applied for the DV lottery while we were at home in New Zealand, and are currently in the US on B2 visas, and we will leave the US in September and go to Canada to live and work.

Hence, we presumably would need to get married soon-ish so that we can apply for the visa ASAP.

I have two questions about this:

1) Will it look bad if we get married at a town hall (or equivalent) in the US while we are here, or should we wait until we go to Canada and get married there?

2) On the DV lottery application, my fiancé put New Zealand as his country of residence (as it was at the time), but seeing as we will soon be residing in Canada, can we do the interview there instead?

I look forward to responses!

Thank you so much.

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
X