applied for H-1B, "won" DV-2008

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• applied for H-1B, "won" DV-2008

So, I am in a very peculiar position. I graduated last summer, got a decent job, didn't get H-1B last year, and this year I am not sure yet if I made it through the lottery. And yesterday, I got the notification letter saying that I have been selected for the DV-2008 lottery.

My case number is AS000084XX.

Here are my questions which I hope somebody here will be able to answer.

1. If I get my H-1B and if I decide to go the AOS route, is there anything I need to do before my case number becomes current? As my number is in 8000's (Asia), I am guessing it will be March/April of 2008 until it becomes current. Do I need to inform KCC of my intentions of going AOS route before the number becomes current?

2. If I get my H-1B and if I decide to do it via the Embassy at home, the first step is to mail DS-230 and DS-122 to KCC, correct? Do I need to wait till the number becomes current for that as well? Or can I send the forms right now?

3. If I decide to proceed with the Embassy while living in the US on H-1B, how many times do I have to fly back? Is it only once for the interview? I have heard that it's faster in the Embassy, so I am trying to do a cost-benefit analysis.

4. I have read somewhere that if you are in the US and proceed with the Embassy for the DV, you fly back to the home country for the interviews and if for some reason you are denied the green card, your current visa status (H-1B) will also be terminated and you won't be able to come back. Is that true?

Thanks and I hope to get some replies!

Originally posted by shalaj
    4. I have read somewhere that if you are in the US and proceed with the Embassy for the DV, you fly back to the home country for the interviews and if for some reason you are denied the green card, your current visa status (H-1B) will also be terminated and you won't be able to come back. Is that true?
    I also really wish to know if this is true!

Comment

Originally posted by shalaj
      So, I am in a very peculiar position. I graduated last summer, got a decent job, didn't get H-1B last year, and this year I am not sure yet if I made it through the lottery. And yesterday, I got the notification letter saying that I have been selected for the DV-2008 lottery.

My case number is AS000084XX.

Here are my questions which I hope somebody here will be able to answer.

1. If I get my H-1B and if I decide to go the AOS route, is there anything I need to do before my case number becomes current? As my number is in 8000's (Asia), I am guessing it will be March/April of 2008 until it becomes current. Do I need to inform KCC of my intentions of going AOS route before the number becomes current?

2. If I get my H-1B and if I decide to do it via the Embassy at home, the first step is to mail DS-230 and DS-122 to KCC, correct? Do I need to wait till the number becomes current for that as well? Or can I send the forms right now?

3. If I decide to proceed with the Embassy while living in the US on H-1B, how many times do I have to fly back? Is it only once for the interview? I have heard that it's faster in the Embassy, so I am trying to do a cost-benefit analysis.

Thanks and I hope to get some replies!

congratulations you are so very lucky . I have been entering and waiting since 2001.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
      X