Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Green Card on Political Asylum

Hi,

I have a Green card that I got after my political asylum case was approved. I've had the GC for about 4 years (due to file for citizenship end of next year).

in the years so far that I have carried the GC I have not left the US. However, I am planning a trip to canada and Nova Scotia for vacation.

Can someone please guide me if having just my green card will be ok to leave the US for canada and then come back without any problems?

Also, will this have an effect when I file for citizenship?

Thanks!

You'll be fine ...

... just keep track of your dates when you're out of the country as you'll need to fill these in your US citizenship application.

Remember to take your passport and preferably an utility bill and one latest bank statement, just in case.

Good luck.

PS: Nova Scotia is a beautiful place, with the Cabot Trail, Bay of Fundy having the highest tides in the world, Peggy's Cove with the tiny post office in a lighthouse etc.

Comment

my passport that i got from country of my citizenship has been long expired. will that be a problem?

thanks for the tips about nova scotia

Comment

Yes, that will be ...

... a big problem. You cannot enter Canada without a valid passport associated with your green card.

You may want to call up Canadian Consulate and check with them too.

Comment

"persons lawfully admitted to the United States for permanent residence who are in possession of their alien registration card (Green card) or can provide other evidence of permanent residence;"

Find out if you need an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) or a visitor visa

from the above it doesnt look like i will need a 'visa' hence..wont need a passport i am assuming.

but i will call and find out.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
          X