Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DV Winner 2009 - Embassy Interview Stage

Hello,
    I've been notified of my interview date at the US Embassy and have a few questions. Have tried ringing them but they never answer!

EVIDENCE TO TAKE TO INTERVIEW:
    - I have proof of a high school education certificate
    - Have the required Police Checks
    - Going to medical next week
    - Have around $12k Aus in my bank so can support myself
    - Have good CV with references (not originals, they have been lost)
    - Trade certificate (original also lost but trying to get another)
    - Proof I'm in 3rd yr of degree by correspondence in Construction Management
    - Two photos

QUESTIONS:
    1.Do I need an affidavid of Support from someone in the USA? I don't know anyone and will stay in a hostel until I set myself up in the US.
    2.Do I need to give them exact details of my plans once I arrive, such as accommodation address, price etc...?
    3. Do I need to have a job offer? I'm intending on finding work once I arrive and have enough to support myself for a few months at least.
    4. What other evidence (besides the above list) will I need to show the Embassy at my interview?
    5. I understand that they either issue you a visa or don't after the interview on the spot, if I don't have enough evidence with me can I submit more at a later date or is this my only chance?
    6. Are the visas issued on a first come first served basis until the 50,000 are issued? I had to reschedule my appointment from Jan to March so hope I haven't missed out on one!
    7. If I'm granted a visa, how long do I have to enter the US?

I have no real plans as yet... not sure where I would like to live and work. Probably do some research soon as I think they will ask. I have moved to other countries before not knowing anyone and it was fine.

Thanks for your help,

Megs
    Last edited by mfowler10; 02-22-2009, 10:23 AM.

Megs, based on my own research over the last few years, this is what I have found out or believe;

1.Do I need an affidavid of Support from someone in the USA? I don't know anyone and will stay in a hostel until I set myself up in the US.

I DON'T BELIEVE SO

2.Do I need to give them exact details of my plans once I arrive, such as accommodation address, price etc...?

AGAIN, DONT BELIEVE SO

3. Do I need to have a job offer? I'm intending on finding work once I arrive and have enough to support myself for a few months at least.

NO. YOU ARE NOT APPLYING FOR AN EMPLOYMENT BASED VISA

4. What other evidence (besides the above list) will I need to show the Embassy at my interview?

PERSONALLY, I WOULD TAKE ALL PAPERWORK I OWN, AND I MEAN EVERYTHING -CANT GO WRONG THEN!

5. I understand that they either issue you a visa or don't after the interview on the spot, if I don't have enough evidence with me can I submit more at a later date or is this my only chance?

NOT SURE SORRY.

6. Are the visas issued on a first come first served basis until the 50,000 are issued? I had to reschedule my appointment from Jan to March so hope I haven't missed out on one!

I BELIEVE THIS IS THE CASE - BUT IT IS BASED ON THE INTERVIEWS SO IF YOU HAVE BEEN GRANTED AN INTERVIEW AND YOU SATISFY THE REQUIREMENTS OF THE VISA THEN YOU'RE IN!

7. If I'm granted a visa, how long do I have to enter the US?

LAST TIME I CHECKED IT WAS ABOUT 6 MONTHS. YOU MUST ENTER THE COUNTRY BUT DO NOT HAVE TO STAY.GO THERE ON A HOLIDAY WITH THE GREEN CARD, ESTABLISH A US IDENTITY SUCH AS SOCIAL SECURITY AND POSTAL ADDRESS AND START LOOKING FOR JOBS ETC.

Comment

DV Winner 2009 - Entering USA

Thanks blusokx.

I've now got the visa sticker in my passport and will serve as temporary I-551 once endorsed. It was issued 27 may 2009 and expires 26 nov 2009 (6 months). I have some more questions:

1. I'm wondering if I have til 26 Nov 2009 to enter as some people say I was supposed to be in the Country in Sept before financial year finishes or something like that. Anyone know??

2. I hope to come over in Nov for 4-5 days to apply for SSN and bank account if I can, otherwise I will come back in a few months time to do this. I assume that once I enter the country I will get my actuall green card in a few months time. Am I allowed to travel before I get it, cause I will only be staying a few days?

3. I heard you should wait 10 days after arriving before applying for a SSN but I am limited for time in the US due to other committments in the UK. Does anyone know why you have to wait and what will happen if I don't?

4. Also, what do I need to take with me to enter? X-Rays, medical, proof of money to support myself, details of where I will live?? What kind of questions will they ask? Feel like it's all a little daunting!

Thanks

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
      X