Executive order to halt immigration for 60 days

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Executive order to halt immigration for 60 days

I have a friend who has been granted an immigrant visa based on 2019 Green Card lottery. Visa will expire on June 10th, 2020. He contacted the US embassy in Sri Lanka to see if this expiration date can be extended due to Covid-19 and the answer was No. Based on the information online, it is not clear who has been barred from entering the country. I really appreciate if someone can answer the following questions.

1. Given the executive order signed by the president, will he be able to enter the US on Apr 24th through a major airport?
    2. Travel time from Sri Lanka to US is about 24Hrs. His plane leaves SL around Thu 1:30PM CST and reaches the US mainland around Fri 2.00PM CST. I am not sure what will happen here in the US during this 24Hr period. Provided that he was allowed to leave Sri Lanka and Qatar immigration(transit) is also allowed him to board the US bound flight, what will happen to him when he reaches his destination in the US? Will he be allowed to enter the country or will he be deported?

You can find the content of the executive order here that will be effective at 12 midnight on Apr 23rd.
    Based on the information in Sec 2, it looks like my friend can travel without any issues since his visa was issued in Feb 5th, 2020. There are three conditions in this section and two of them are false for my friend.

Sec. 2. Scope of Suspension and Limitation on Entry. (a) The suspension and limitation on entry pursuant to section 1 of this proclamation shall apply only to aliens who:

(i) are outside the United States on the effective date of this proclamation; - (True)

(ii) do not have an immigrant visa that is valid on the effective date of this proclamation; and - (False)

(iii) do not have an official travel document other than a visa (such as a transportation letter, an appropriate boarding foil, or an advance parole document) that is valid on the effective date of this proclamation or issued on any date thereafter that permits him or her to travel to the United States and seek entry or admission. - (False)

Comment

Your friend should be fine if he comes in before the visa expires. He had better try and come before June 10th.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
      X