Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Asylee status after getting married

Hi friends!
    I have never had a lawyer, so I needed to open this topic.
    I am an asylee, and I applied for green card a couple of months ago. I will get married in a few months with an American citizen. Will my asylee status change, or until I get my citizenship, I will able to keep my asylee status?
    Thank you!

Originally posted by eva93 View Post
    Hi friends!
    I am an asylee, and I applied for green card a couple of months ago. I will get married in a few months with an American citizen. Will my asylee status change, or until I get my citizenship, I will able to keep my asylee status?
    Thank you!
    You are good if you will not be filling your green card based on your marital status. If I were you, I would keep my asylee status because it has more benefits.

Comment

Originally posted by folads21 View Post

You are good if you will not be filling your green card based on your marital status. If I were you, I would keep my asylee status because it has more benefits.
      Yes, that's what I want as well. Thanks a lot for answering!

Comment

Originally posted by eva93 View Post
        Hi friends!
        Thank you!
        You are currently an asylee. Marrying a resident or citizen won't change your current status. There are various ways to become a resident. One is by being an asylee, and the other is through marriage to a citizen or resident. Once you become a resident, the method you became a resident doesn't matter. There are not more benefits for residents who became residents through asylum as opposed through marriage. The only benefit I can think of, is that if you apply for residency with asylee status, you'd be eligible for a fee waiver for the I-485. Family petitions do not qualify for a fee waiver for the I-485.
        Immigration & Personal Injury Attorneys
        Law Offices of Jesus Martinez
        4781 E. Gettysburg Ave, Ste 118
        Fresno, CA 93726
        (559) 387-4228

Comment

You are currently an asylee and your resident won't change your current status. You will be eligible to apply for a green card (permanent residence) one year after receiving your asylum status.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
          X