Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I-864 sponsorship questions

Hello,

A couple years ago I filled out an I-864 to sponsor my sibling. They have been called for an interview in the country of origin. They are requesting the following from me (the sponsor):
    • Latest tax return (2020)
    • Transcript of tax return (2020)
    I have both of these but the latest tax return copy I have does not have my social security on it, it's "ZZZ-XX- YYYY " on the copies. I don't have the original! I basically always shred the copy provided by my tax accountant and keep the digital copy. I didn't realize that my social is omitted (I am happy that is it). But not sure if this will be a problem in this particular situation

As for the transcript of tax return, I logged onto the IRS website, and that only shows the last 4 numbers of my social.

Is this going to be a problem?
    Last edited by xcs23; 10-06-2021, 06:55 PM.

Hi,
    You will need to share whatever you have. I hope this will not be made any issues.
    Statement: As for the transcript of tax return, I logged onto the IRS website, and that only shows the last 4 numbers of my social.
    Answer: This is fine.
    Thanks

Comment

The situation is this - An undocumented immigrant is getting married to a US citizen. However, spouse of the immigrant don't meet the 125% of poverty guideline (basically don't make enough money to financially support the immigrant according to I-864) aperfectshinedetailing​, so joint-sponsor is needed. I am aware that this joint-sponsor doesn't have to be someone of a relation such as US citizen's parents or relatives.

My question is:
      1) After I-864A has been filed with the joint-sponsor, does that sponsor have to provide additional information later on to prove that they are actually the one to financially supporting the immigrant? Also,
      2) Does the joint-sponsor have to live in the same household as the married couple?

I ask these because the immigrant needs someone to sponsor him; however that joint-sponsor won't actually be supporting him financially. In reality, his parent (also undocumented) will be able to support him to get by until he gets the EAD, but obviously they cannot sponsor him on paper because of their status.​

Comment

Originally posted by RichardGravener View Post
        The situation is this - An undocumented immigrant is getting married to a US citizen. However, spouse of the immigrant don't meet the 125% of poverty guideline (basically don't make enough money to financially support the immigrant according to I-864) aperfectshinedetailing​, so joint-sponsor is needed. I am aware that this joint-sponsor doesn't have to be someone of a relation such as US citizen's parents or relatives.

My question is:
        1) After I-864A has been filed with the joint-sponsor, does that sponsor have to provide additional information later on to prove that they are actually the one to financially supporting the immigrant? Also,
        2) Does the joint-sponsor have to live in the same household as the married couple?

I ask these because the immigrant needs someone to sponsor him; however that joint-sponsor won't actually be supporting him financially. In reality, his parent (also undocumented) will be able to support him to get by until he gets the EAD, but obviously they cannot sponsor him on paper because of their status.​
        The petitioner (the US citizen spouse of the immigrant) always files an I-864, even if they don't have enough household income. A "joint sponsor" files a second I-864 (not I-864A). So there will be two I-864s. A "joint sponsor" does not have to live with, or be related to, the petitioner. Both of the I-864 filers (the petitioner as well as the joint sponsor) are subject to the obligations of the I-864, i.e. to supplement the immigrant's income to 125% of the poverty level, if it does not already reach that level. If the immigrant's income does not reach 125% of poverty level, then the immigrant can sue either or both of the sponsors for support. If the immigrant's income does not reach 125% of poverty level and the immigrant obtains a government need-based benefit, the benefit-granting agency can sue either or both of the sponsors for reimbursement.

This is my personal opinion and is not to be construed as legal advice.

Comment

Originally posted by newacct View Post

The petitioner (the US citizen spouse of the immigrant) always files an I-864, even if they don't have enough household income. A "joint sponsor" files a second I-864 (not I-864A). So there will be two I-864s. A "joint sponsor" does not have to live with, or be related to, the petitioner. Both of the I-864 filers (the petitioner as well as the joint sponsor) are subject to the obligations of the I-864, i.e. to supplement the immigrant's income to 125% of the poverty level, if it does not already reach that level. If the immigrant's income does not reach 125% of poverty level, then the immigrant can sue either or both of the sponsors for support signaturedetailers. If the immigrant's income does not reach 125% of poverty level and the immigrant obtains a government need-based benefit, the benefit-granting agency can sue either or both of the sponsors for reimbursement.
          thank you so much for your suggestion

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
          X