Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A few questions regarding B1/B2 I am worried about.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A few questions regarding B1/B2 I am worried about.

Hello, (This is my first post here)

I was planning to go to a science conference for which I applied for a B1 and got a 5 year multiple B1/B2. My trip was supposed to funded by the university but then I was told that US trip is out of their budget. To cut the story short, I will not be able to attend the conference when I was supposed to (mid March) and instead I plan to go to another conference this fall entirely funded by myself. Here are the questions :

1. Will it be any problem if I show up in USA at dates other than what I told the officer at the consulate ?
    2. Can I travel to USA for tourism instead of conference (since conference registration fees are huge usually) ? Will I be asked that your original intent was to travel for conference so what are you doing here for tourism ?
    3. If I travel for tourism and I am stamped B2 at the Port Of Entry (POE) then within the duration of 5 years can I travel again for a conference (B1) or can I only travel for B2 again ?
    4. Can I travel for tourism even though I have no friends or relatives in US ?
    5. If, in these 5 years, I am unable to utilize B1/B2 then will it effect my future visa applications, be it B1/B2 or other types ? (Please answer this !)
    6. If I utilize this visa as B1 then if I apply for a higher tier visa (I mean for employment etc) then will this travel to USA be of some support ?

Sorry for these many questions but my mind is buzzing with them.

Thanks in advance.

Hello, Altairahmad.

I am sharing my thoughts on your queries:
    1) No problem if you show up in the USA on different dates than what you mentioned during the interview.

2) Yes. On a B1/B2 visa, you are allowed to travel to USA on holiday. At the Port of Entry, when the officer asks you your purpose of visit, tell him Holiday. He might want to know your travel plan and where you intend to stay (Hotel, if you do not have relatives). You would book a Hotel before hand if you are travelling so far.
    No. You will not be asked that your original intent was Conference. If you have been issued B1/B2 visa, you can travel on either - this is decided by what you tell the officer at the Port of Entry. If you say Holiday - he will write B2 on your Passport, if you say Conference - he will write B1.

3) You can visit as many times and any of the two categories - B1 or B2. If it is B1, at Port of Entry, the officer might want to see which conference, or company meeting you are attending. The way he might want to know, on B2, which Hotel, what all are you planning to visit.

4) Yes. You can. You should have a travel and stay plan. You might be asked at the Port of Entry.

5) No. It will not adversely impact future applications, should you not travel. If anything, for future applications, this is a good thing that you already have a 5 year approval (you are able to travel or not is secondary).

6) A good travel record strengthens the case but is not the deciding factor. People who keep travelling back and forth in a way demonstrate that they do not intend to stay illegally in the USA. However, a work visa petition depends largely upon the visa sponsoring company and the job one would be performing in the US.

I hope this helps.

Wishing you luck.

Cheers,

Originally posted by altairahmad View Post
    Hello, (This is my first post here)

I was planning to go to a science conference for which I applied for a B1 and got a 5 year multiple B1/B2. My trip was supposed to funded by the university but then I was told that US trip is out of their budget. To cut the story short, I will not be able to attend the conference when I was supposed to (mid March) and instead I plan to go to another conference this fall entirely funded by myself. Here are the questions :

1. Will it be any problem if I show up in USA at dates other than what I told the officer at the consulate ?
    2. Can I travel to USA for tourism instead of conference (since conference registration fees are huge usually) ? Will I be asked that your original intent was to travel for conference so what are you doing here for tourism ?
    3. If I travel for tourism and I am stamped B2 at the Port Of Entry (POE) then within the duration of 5 years can I travel again for a conference (B1) or can I only travel for B2 again ?
    4. Can I travel for tourism even though I have no friends or relatives in US ?
    5. If, in these 5 years, I am unable to utilize B1/B2 then will it effect my future visa applications, be it B1/B2 or other types ? (Please answer this !)
    6. If I utilize this visa as B1 then if I apply for a higher tier visa (I mean for employment etc) then will this travel to USA be of some support ?

Sorry for these many questions but my mind is buzzing with them.

Thanks in advance.
    These are my personal thoughts. I am not a professional.

Wishing you luck.

Comment

You cleared everything nicely.

Thanks a lot.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
      X