Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

B1/B2 Visa to give USMLE step 3. Already on F1/OPT visa now. What are my chances?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• B1/B2 Visa to give USMLE step 3. Already on F1/OPT visa now. What are my chances?

Hi there,

My situation is a little unique and I am hoping that any kind soul with more information will advise me on how to go about my situation.

My background:

I have a MBBS degree from India. I came to US on a F1 visa and graduated with a MS degree in 2012. After that, I have been working as a research assistant under the OPT status. My OPT status will expire on December 30, 2014. Till now, I have only cleared USMLE step 2 CS.

I am planning to take step 1 by the end of this year. And then go back to India before my OPT status expires and then take USMLE step 2 CK in India.

I am then hoping to apply for a B1/B2 visa in order to appear for USMLE step 3 around August 2015, since this exam can be only taken in US. I would also like to attend any residency interviews when I visit US during this time.

My Questions:

1. Is getting a B1/B2 visa hard considering the fact that USMLE step 3 is not mandatory for ECFMG certification? (I have heard many people getting a B1/B2 visa for USMLE step 2 CS, but I haven't seen many ppl applying this visa to take step 3).

2. What is the best way to get a B1/B2 visa in my situation if the above option is not feasible? For example, is applying for this visa to attend the residency interviews a lower risk option than asking for a visa to appear for step 3 exam?

3. Also, how long can I request to stay in US? Ideally, I would want at least 5-6 months of stay, since I want to not only complete usmle step 3 exam, but also attend interviews, which run from October 2015 to January 2016.

4. Will my previous F1 status make it more or less harder to obtain this visa now? My MS course is related to the residency specialty that I am planning to apply, but I am not sure whether the interviewing officer would even consider that.

5. If all the above options are hard, is there any other less risky way to deal with my situation?

Thank you in advance,

sk

You can maximise your chances by applying for interviews as the main purpose. If you have 5-6 interview letters with spread out interview dates , then you can easily mention 3-4 months in the application form.Though that mention is just for the visa decision, actual stay is granted at the airport.
    You will be granted B1 classification at the airport for the interview which fully entitles you to take the step3 test as well.

All that said, there is always some risk of denial with a B1/B2 as 214b ( immigrant intent) can easily be applied thru officer discretion.

Another way is to stick around in US doing an H-1 research job till you take all the tests and clear the interviews. Since you have a US degree,
    you can get an H-1 stamp in canada without having to return to India.

Comment

Originally posted by peace999 View Post
      Another way is to stick around in US doing an H-1 research job till you take all the tests and clear the interviews. Since you have a US degree,
      you can get an H-1 stamp in canada without having to return to India.
      Thank you very much for your quick reply. Even I thought this is an easier way to go about this, but it is not easy to find H1 research jobs in my field. I have also thought about entering into a phD program in the same college and go back to F1 visa. But that will be an extremely long and complicated process, so I am not sure if it is a correct thing to do.

Suppose, if I find a J1 research job instead of a H1 position, is it going to get hard for me to change into a H1 residency position later, since J1 requires me to come back to home country for at least 2 years?

Also, can I change to a J1 residency position from a J1 research job or will this option also requires me to go back to my home country before I can apply for residency?

Thank you.

Comment

Not all J1s are subject to the 2 yr requirement. But physician J-1 is subject, I am sure. About scholar J-1s you have to find out.

Also, J-1 can change to another J-1 , F-1, without meeting the 2 yr requirement if it is subject to.

But doing a residency on a J-1 will restrict you if you want to stay in US after residency.
        Waivers are available for work in under served areas which you probably know about.

By the way , what is your field of MS study?

Comment

Thank you once again!

I graduated with MS in Pathology (experimental). My field of interest in residency is also Pathology, which very few Indian/foreign medical graduates usually apply to.

I believe there aren't too many waiver jobs for Pathology since it is not a primary care specialty like Internal medicine or pediatrics. So, I also have to keep that in mind.

Do you know if it becomes harder to shift from a J1 research job to a H1 residency?

Comment

if it is not subject to 2 yr thing, no , it is not a problem. If the program has filed your H-1b petition and it is approved by the USCIS, you just file for a change of
            status . If there is a timing problem, get an H-1b stamp abroad or at home.Clear cut H-1bs are not denied at the embassy. As 214b immigrant intent does not apply to
            H-1b.
            Last edited by peace999; 07-23-2014, 12:45 AM.

Comment

Thank you very much for your replies. It was really helpful.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
              X