Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Applying for B1 but travelling on B2

Hi,

My company has asked me to apply for a B1 Visa as there could be a travel lined up on business in March'15 next year. However, I need to travel to the US to visit my sister in Nov'14 on the B2.

Although the B1/B2 are stamped together, will I be able to apply for the visa via my company on Business, and travel in Nov as a tourist? My first entry will be on tourist grounds(B2), although the DS-160 form while applying for the visa is on Business(B1).

Will I face a problem at the POE even if the visa is approved? Is it better if I apply for the B1/B2 as a tourist with the letter of invitation from my sister.

Thanks.

Yes. You can travel on B1/B2 visa for pleasure or visiting some one. But if you get the visa without annotations. If you get any annotation, you should act accordingly.

But, most important thing here is...you should apply for B1 visa with concrete purpose with proper documentation. They won't approve visa for future requirements and without proper itinerary.

And success of B visa depends on your strong ties to home country, stable job , good income, genuineness of your trip and your confidence levels at the interview

All the best.

This is my opinion, not a legal advice.

Comment

Thank You - Ideal sol.

Indeed it seems fair to apply with the current requirement of a tourist and I will need to act accordingly and check on the Business Visa at a later date during the time of work related travel.

I also checked up and got to know that the verification at the Port of Entry will be against the I94 and the records entered by the visa officer that the embassy. With a mismatch, there could be an issue at immigration.

Thanks again for your help!

Comment

travel on B1/B2

I had B1/B2 visa stamped for the purpose of business visit.
        I wrote mail to US consulate if with this visa I can travel as a tourist.
        I got reply that if it is without annotation I can travel and if with annotation, to send the copy of visa page.
        I had sent copy of visa page by email and I got reply that - yes I can visit US as tourist.
        I kept the copy of this email with me while visiting US and thought of showing to Immigration officer if asked.
        May be you can also do the same thing.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
        X