B1/B2 success story on third attempt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• B1/B2 success story on third attempt

I want to share my slightly unusual B1/B2 visa attempt story with you all, because maybe it can be a good advice for other people:

I work as a crew on private yachts, and last year I tried to get this visa at the embassy in Oslo, Norway. ( I am a Norwegian) Since I didn't have any confirmation letter or contract to show from a boat I was on, and I said I needed the visa to be able to apply for jobs where this visa is needed (what a stupid thing to say!) they refused me immediately, 214b.

Then I tried again in Oslo this year (in the end of October). This time I was employed on a boat, where I had been working for 5 months, and I had a confirmation letter from the captain, that said the boat was going to the US, and I had a permanent contract. But this documentation was not good enough for the consular officer, he said this contract didn't look very secure, that they could fire me with 30 days notice and that I could start look for work in the US... He asked me about last years refusal, and I was stupid again and said that I had applied for the visa back then to be able to apply for jobs on boats. (I wasn't going to the US to apply, but I think the consular officer thought so). So he refused me my visa for the second time. This time I was really shocked and devastated, because I had expected to get the visa without any problems.

The next ten days I was really depressed, because without the visa I could not continue my job on the boat that was going to the US... so I was actually jobless. But after a little bit of research, and after advise from some people also within the same industry as myself, I decided to go to Italy to apply there, for the third time.

Some people told me that I would not have much of a chance applying in a different country than my own, after two refusals. But other people told me it would be easier there, because in Italy they are more familiar with yacht crew and know about the industry. The boat had also been in Italy for a month. In Norway, nobody is familiar with these kind of jobs. So I went to Italy and applied at a consulate there. Of course, the first thing the consular officer asks me is "why do you apply here in Italy?" I explained the whole situation and talked about my last two refusals, but did not mention anything about wanting the visa to be able to look for jobs on yachts where you needed this visa. I had lots of documentation with me; confirmation letter, contract, tax returns from Norway, bank statements, a return flight and even photos of my familiy and the boat... and after a little thinking, he approved my visa! I was so happy afterwards! It was a huge relief, because now I was able to continue my job.

So it may actually be worth to consider where to apply for your visa... not every place is the same, and it also depends on the people at the embassy. In my case, it was worth it NOT to apply in my home country, because the type of work I do is so unfamiliar to them there that they don't understand what you're talking about and just refuse you.

Great!
    you are so lucky!!
    Congrats and all the best.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X