Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Returning in USA with a B1 visa

Hello,

I am a sailing boat skipper and I had to deliver a boat from England to USA this year. In this purpose I had to apply early 2014 for a B1/B2 visa.
    When I applied for my visa, I had a letter from the boat owner (who is american) saying that he will need my services to take care of the boat and sail along the east coast during the next few months, I am a french private contractor and run my own french company.
    After getting my visa, I successfully deliver the boat to Charleston, SC. The entrance date on my passport is 23rd of June 2014. Then I worked in the USA until October.
    After the job done, instead of go back to France I decided to travel around USA for the last two months of my visa. I'm flying back to France in 10 days before the 22nd of December.

When I was working in USA I made some contacts and some peoples wants me to go back in USA next year to sail their boats, take care of it, do some engineering, technical advice, etc.
    My questions are:

- Am I allowed to go back in USA in 2015 with my multiple entries B1/B2 visa ? Even after spending 6 months there in 2014 ?
    - If yes, at what month can I go back ? is Feb/March ok ? or I have to wait 6 months and go back there at least in end of June ?
    - What documents I need to go back ? I guess a return plane ticket, a bank statement, a letter from the people who need my personal services, what else ? I live and pay my tax in France and already prove this when I apply for my visa.
    - Is it a good idea to contact the US embassy in my country and tell them about my needs before fly again to USA next year ?

I don't intend to immigrate in USA, there is a lot of work for me there so I really need to go back 6 month and make money. But I don't want to get stuck at the airport and have to flight back with a denied entrance. Or even loose my 10 years visa. How can I prove my good willing to the immigration ?
    Between end of December and next spring I have time to build my file so I want to be sure that everything is going to be ok.

Thank you for your answers,
    Jean G.

First of all, you should not work in the USA with a B visa. If you tell the officials at POE that you are going to work, immediately they will deport you and cancel your existing multiple visa.

If you inform this at consulate in your country they may alert the POE people.

This is my opinion, not a legal advice.

Comment

Hello,
      That's totally a grey zone because when I apply for my visa, I had a letter saying that I'm going to work, and when I docked with the boat and the immigration officers came to check-in, I told them the same thing and they stamp my passport for 6 month.
      I'm really surprised that they agree to let me in...
      So my only 'legal' solution would be to apply for a H-1B visa right ?

Comment

Yes, H1 generally.
        Some times VOs don't read letters completely.
        Just they check whether you have the document or not.

But, surprisingly... immigration official let you in even told him that you are going to work in the USA !!!

Don't expect to happen the same thing every time.

This is my opinion, not a legal advice.
        Last edited by Ideal sol; 12-03-2014, 10:20 PM.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
        X