Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• B1 for startup founder & B2 for my mother

Hello,

Found some really good cases on the forum about visa application. My case is a little different and seeking the community's advice.

I graduated in 2012, worked (income >10LPA) for an American based analytics company in India until July 2013. My father passed away unexpectedly in July 2013 and I quit the job to move to handle my father's business (turnover >1.2cr PA). I also started up another company (with me & my mother as the director) to pursue my interests in September and it became operational by October 2013. For the financial year 13-14 (from Oct to Mar'14), we did an revenue of >65L (my personal ITR of ~25L for the same financial year). In the current FY 14-15, we have done a revenue of >1cr in the startup (till end of Dec) and it employees 7 people now. On the DS160, I have filled my monthly income as 10L per month

One of our client (a startup based out of NYC, also my very senior member at the analytics company where I used to work) is inviting me for a business meeting to discuss about an upcoming project for 2 weeks on their expenses. I have applied for the B1 visa along with for my mother (B2 for my mother) and interview is scheduled on 7th Jan 15. However, we filled our forms separately and on different dates, so we haven't specified that we are travelling together on DS160. Our interview times are also separated by 30 mins.

We also have 2 residential properties, 1 factory here in India.

I wanted to know if we should be good with the visa (B1 for me, B2 for my mother). Also, I wanted to take my sister as well on B2(29.5 yrs, unmarried). I have her interview scheduled on 12th but I am worried about her getting the visa since she's unmarried. She's not working, but supporting me in the 2 businesses. I am thinking to cancel her interview and not take her now.

Also, I want to add that I will be visiting another client of ours based out of Texas for whom I am working for over 1.5 yrs now. I have an invite letter from them as well. If that will anyway help our case? I have travelled to Hong Kong & Macau recently with my family as well.

Would really like the community's advice on this at the earliest.

Thanks,
    Immihelp Visitor
    Last edited by n1e2a3l4; 01-01-2015, 07:55 AM.

Income you mentioned in the DS160 should match your ITR or your pay slip.

If you both are traveling together, then you should apply together.

When you are going for the business meeting, why are you taking your mother on b2? if it is pleasure trip or any family occasion then plan along with all the family members.

If your mother presence is required in business meeting (since she is one of the director) then apply b1 for her too.

But, if you try to hide the things with VO, they may catch you at the interview.

Even if they approved your visa now, there is a chance of knowing that you are playing, while your mother's interview.

Now a days they are canceling even approved visas, if they found any abuse at later stage.

This is my opinion, not a legal advice.
    Last edited by Ideal sol; 01-02-2015, 04:35 AM.

Comment

Thanks for your answer.

I am taking my mother on B2 since she's not active in the business, and will basically be accompanying me for tourism. What do you suggest? Not trying to hide anything here. If I apply for B1 for her, they will question her since her english is not well. Like I said my sister also wants to go, but she's unmarried and the VO seeing all of us going together might see us with an immigration intent.

We have already done with the biometric scan, how can we have our interview together now? Will having it separately be problematic? I can write a letter to her which she can present to the VO stating that she will be traveling with me.

Is there a way I can modify the DS160, though I have given my biometric scan, to fix the income part? I read somewhere to include the gross income of the business if you are a business owner hence the mistake.

Your early reply will be very helpful.

Thanks

Comment

Sorry to say, but you should have proper plan and have to prepare well, for getting US visa. Nothing much left to do now. Please take it positive.

I'm not sure, whether you can modify DS160 now or not and what is the best procedure to follow in this situation.

But I can say how B visas are approved or rejected generally. With that information you decide what step to take based on your circumstances. Because you know them better than anybody else.

1) The very first thing required for B visa is non immigrant intent.

2) Strong ties to home country (spouse, children,
        Good income, Social status etc.)

3) Necessity of the trip. (Why it is so important to you to visit USA and how it is going to help your business and or is there any benefit to USA with your business)

4) A good travel history ( particularly it is observed, when you apply for tourism. VO expect, applicant to visit surrounding countries before all the way visiting USA)

You must demonstrate to VO that you are satisfying all or few of above rules genuinely.
        But, finally it is the discretion of VO to take a decision and nobody can question it.

Knowing and speaking English will surely helpful in business with USA. But, it doesn't matter for a real business man. Many business people from Europe, China, Russia and Latin America do millions of turnover overseas, though they can't speak proper English.

I didn't say that you're hiding something but, alerting you that VO may misunderstand, three of you applied separately for immigrating. Because if VO ask you- is anyone accompanying you? then what would be your answer? either lie with him or reveal that other family members applied separately.

As per my knowledge and experience you better focus on your visa rather than other family members at this point of time. Because your visa is important for your business. You can take them later with proper plan.

Good luck.

Comment

Thanks again.

I am cancelling the application for my sister since it will make the conditions unfavourable.

Mine and my mother's interview are apart by 30 minutes. Initially, only I had planned for the usual business trip but then later my mother wanted to be there to go there as a tourist. There is no intention behind having these two interviews separate. How should I convey this rightly to the VO?

Also my family had visited HK and Macau in November. Not sure if that will help.

Comment

Also, how should I justify the VO on the wrong monthly income I filled by mistake on DS160?

Comment

You may call VFS people and inform about the mistake of DS160 and shoot a mail to consulate people.

Don't forget to share your experience after the interview irrespective of the result.

Comment

My visa was approved. They asked me about the client, what do they do, and what we do. Looked like they already had the approval with them.

For my mom, they denied the visa. She mentioned about her niece being int he NYC, and they asked for his visa which she couldn't present. Any idea why was it refused? Was she seemed like a potential immigrant to them? My mom tried to showed my invitation letter as well that she is going with me, but they didn't even look at it.

Comment

Congrats!

I cautioned you that one can't qualify for US visa, without a proper plan and action.

She shouldn't try to visit a relative alone that to without strong reason/occasion.

Even if you both applied together, I doubt she could have qualified. Generally a spouse can apply for a B2 along with spouse who is applying for a B1. But, not sure about single parent.

Most importantly intent should be very clear should reflect in your DS160 as well as in interview, when applying for a visa.

When she mentioned that she is visiting her relative, how can she ignore taking all of his details and documents? when she told she's going to visit relative, how she can try to show your invitation which is irrelevant?

Generally, after taking the decision, VO won't listen anything. That was the good thing (not listening) happened in this case as per me. Because, very recently someone posted here that her husband's B1 visa was canceled by VO when she applied for B2, soon after receiving her husband's visa.

Since your income is good, you may plan for a pleasure tour to USA, ALONG WITH OTHER FAMILY MEMBERS, after visiting couple of neighboring countries.

So, plan well and act next time.

All the best.

Last edited by Ideal sol; 01-08-2015, 02:57 PM.

Comment

Thanks. Actually the first question VO asked her if there's anyone that lives there. She couldn't lie and told the truth. She wasn't going to meet them but wanted to accompany me as a tourist.

Comment

What she's answered in DS160 for the question "do you have any close relatives in the USA ?"

Comment

She said no as it refers to only first level of relatives ie sibling or spouse.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                        X