Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

B1 visa. Can I also visit friends and family?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• B1 visa. Can I also visit friends and family?

Hi. I applied for a B1/B2 visa days ago to take the USMLE Step 2 CS exam. I was approved. But it turns out the visa class that was given to me was a B1 visa. My question is can I also visit my friends and family while on a purely B1 visa? And can I say as much to the port of entry? Can I tell them I'm going to take the exam and also visit friends and family? Or is this not allowed for a pure B1 visa? Thanks!

There is nothing called "pure" B1 ₩₩

While there is no restriction to visit friends and family on a B1 visa, you might not want to say that upfront at the port if entry unless specifcally asked for what you will do in your spare time.
    Last edited by me_shaan; 02-28-2015, 05:23 AM.

Comment

Generally they issue B1/B2 visa in most of the cases.

If you enter with B1 class, automatically you are allowed to do b2 (tourism, meeting friends and relatives etc.) activity.

But if you enter with b2 class, you can't do b1 (business related) activity.

What is the validity of your visa?
      Do you have any annotations on it?
      What was the purpose you mentioned in DS160 and answered during the interview process?

This is my opinion, not a legal advice.
      Last edited by Ideal sol; 02-28-2015, 08:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ideal sol View Post
        Generally they issue B1/B2 visa in most of the cases.

If you enter with B1 class, automatically you are allowed to do b2 (tourism, meeting friends and relatives etc.) activity.

But if you enter with b2 class, you can't do b1 (business related) activity.

What is the validity of your visa?
        Do you have any annotations on it?
        What was the purpose you mentioned in DS160 and answered during the interview process?

Thanks for the response. My visa is valid only until May 23 2015. I'm planning to take the exam in mid-May and maybe stay until early July to visit some people. But there is an annotation on my visa saying "To take USMLE Step 2 CS on May 2015." In the interview, I told the officer that I was taking the exam and I didnt mention about visiting people. Do u think there's a big chance the officer at the point of entry may not grant me a 2-month stay because of the annotation in my visa? Even if I tell him I' m also visiting friends and family while I'm in the US?

Comment

Nothing like that, you may request officer at POE that you would like to meet friends and relatives and visit few places after the exam.

By the way, didn't you mention in DS160 that your family members are staying in the USA?

Last edited by Ideal sol; 03-01-2015, 07:19 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ideal sol View Post
            Nothing like that, you may request officer at POE that you would like to meet friends and relatives and visit few places after the exam.

By the way, didn't you mention in DS160 that your family members are staying in the USA?

Thanks! Yes I indicated in my DS-160 that I have family in US.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
            X