Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• B1 Visa Interview at Chennai !!

Hi All,

I would like to share my experience concerning my B1 visa application interview in Chennai, India. Once after the online application i paid the visa fee in the nearby Axis Bank and got my account activated. Now getting an appointment at an early date is something depends on luck, I was on a hurry and was not getting any appointment date, i kept refreshing the appointment scheduling page and finally got a date which was only 3 days later (If you are not getting an early date for appointment all i can say is be patience and keep refreshing the page and at some point of time you will get the dates closer to what you looking for).

15th February 2015: I reached Chennai early in the morning and my appointment was at 2:00 PM. It is really useless to go early as you will not be allowed to enter the building, 15 minutes prior to my appointment i was allowed inside. I was asked for my passport at the reception and later was advised to sit inside the room. My token was called at a designated counter and the gentleman at the counter assisted me with everything that needs to be done. In 10 minutes i was done with the complete formalities. 2:15 PM i was out on my way to the hotel

17th February 2015: My interview was scheduled at 9:30 AM. I reached the interview center 1 hour back and was shocked to see the crowd already waiting there. It was a crowd of 120 people waiting for their turn to let inside the premises. Finally my turn has come and i was let inside the main building after a tough security check (Please ensure don't carry any electronic devices including Mobile phones, electronic watch, digital camera etc, there is a locker room out in the footpath and you can deposit your items if carried by mistake at a charge of Rs.10 )
    Now this moment inside the visa office I was bit nervous, this is the first time i applied for a visa and i got to know from a couple of folks that its not that easy to crack the interview. I was waiting for my token to be called and later i was again Qued to the designated counter (#21). I was led by 2 more people at the front. I can clearly see the visa officer from there and i can also hear the entire interview conversation. The visa office dose not seems to be friendly as he has rejected 2 applicant in front of me after interviewing them for 5 minutes each approximately. While waiting in the que again i made sure that i have all the documents handy and when asked upon i can provide them without searching in my file. Now it was my turn, i have documented the entire conversation below :

Me : Good morning !! How are you doing today?
    Officer: I am doing good and how about you? (This question seems to impress him as he looked up at me with a smile. Always maintain a eye contact and smile as required)
    Me : I am good, thanks for asking?
    Officer : May i have your passport?
    Me: Handed over. (Though i have carried multiple documents to support my case but in the entire process i was asked only for my passport)
    Office: Why you want to travel to United States?
    Me: Explained the reason in 4 statement
    Officer: Which company do you work?
    Me: Told (He repeated the company name to me just to ensure he heard it right
    Officer: How long you are working with this company?
    Me: 3 Years
    Officer: What is your Salary?
    Me: Told
    Officer : With a smile.. "Your VISA is Approved, have a safe trip")
    Me: Out of excitement i was not sure if i have heard it correct, i confirmed it back asking is it done and he reconfirmed "Your Visa is Approved"

The entire interview was less then a minute

The very next day i got my passport back with the VISA sticker !!

Points to remember:

Dress neatly, wearing a blazer is always an advantage to highlight your professionalism.
    Maintain eye contact all through the interview.
    Answer what is been asked, don't speak unnecessary things.
    Greet the interviewer, this makes the rest of the conversation easy.

All the Best !!

Regards,
    Arup
    Yes
    100.00%
    No
    0.00%

The poll is expired.

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}