Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• B1 Visa Extension

Hi Everyone,

I am currently on a B1 visa in the States to do a 6 months volunteer service for a non-profit. My I-94 expires at the end of September, I would like to stay two months longer though.

Now I would like to extend my visa for two reasons:
    - the non-profit I am volunteering at has a really important fundraising event in November and since they don't have enough staff with event experience they would like me to stay until then
    - my school at home denied my request of being allowed to write my thesis at a later date, so I have to write my master thesis while I am doing my volunteer work here. This is why the non-profit and me decided that I will write my master thesis 'with them' and write a research paper on communication methods for a non-profit like the one I am volunteering for right now. If I leave in September, I have to write the Master Thesis back home in Germany without the support of the non-profit.

I've only read about visa extensions for the reason that people want their parents to be able to stay in the States, never something similar to my case.
    Does anyone have experience with this?

Thanks in advance!

What kind of volunteer work have you been doing?

Why did you get a B-1 visa instead of travelling on ESTA/VWP?

Nici,

They are quite strict about extensions, and will scrutinize your compliance with the terms of your visa.
    This scrutiny may be unwanted if you are not complying with the terms of your visa.

Assisting a non-profit with a fundraising event is not the kind of "volunteer" work eligible under a B visa.

Comment

Originally posted by inadmissible View Post
      What kind of volunteer work have you been doing?

Why did you get a B-1 visa instead of travelling on ESTA/VWP?

Nici,

They are quite strict about extensions, and will scrutinize your compliance with the terms of your visa.
      This scrutiny may be unwanted if you are not complying with the terms of your visa.

Assisting a non-profit with a fundraising event is not the kind of "volunteer" work eligible under a B visa.

I got a B1 visa because it is quite common in Germany to go with a B1/B2 visa to the States to do volunteer service. I've met plenty people here who came on that visa to do volunteer work. For some reason I ended up getting a B1-visa instead of the more common B1/B2 visa, but I was told that it doesn't make much of a big difference. The German American Chamber of Commerce assists a lot of volunteers with getting this visa.
      When I had my visa interview at the consulate I told them about my volunteer service (maybe I shouldn't have used the word 'work' in my previous thread) and thus got my B1 visa with the annotation 'Voluntary Service' at the bottom. I also had a supporting letter from my organization stating that I will 'assist with non-profit operations projects and business development initiatives. (...) participate in the execution of existing programs, services and special events...' This is why I really don't think that I am complying with the terms of my visa.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
      X