Publishing scientific paper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Publishing scientific paper

I travelled to the US a few months ago on a B1 visa to continue research on an undergraduate physics project I had been working on at my university. The aim was to travel there to be able to attend a conference and make use of the facilities available at the university, as those kinds of facilities are not available at my home institution. However, while I was there my contact at the university showed interest in some of the work I was doing and included some of it, with my name, in a paper that was published while I was still in the US. Now I am worried that this violates the terms of the B1 visa. Will I have issues applying for a visa in the future?

Originally posted by JohnMarion View Post
    I travelled to the US a few months ago on a B1 visa to continue research on an undergraduate physics project I had been working on at my university. The aim was to travel there to be able to attend a conference and make use of the facilities available at the university, as those kinds of facilities are not available at my home institution. However, while I was there my contact at the university showed interest in some of the work I was doing and included some of it, with my name, in a paper that was published while I was still in the US. Now I am worried that this violates the terms of the B1 visa. Will I have issues applying for a visa in the future?
    The rule is that you do not work while here in the U.S. or earn any income while on a B1/B2. In order for him to use your information and include your name, he would have had to have had your permission to do so. That could be construed as working because it was published. Also, even if you did not directly earn income for the article, it could generate income at some point. I think if you did not receive compensation in regards to this specific article, you would probably be ok due to the fact that your contact is the one who published the article even if it included your research. I would caution against something like that in the future just to be on the safe side. I would not think you would have any problems applying for a visa in the future.

This is my opinion and not legal advice. Use of this information is strictly at your own risk.

Trinity71

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X