Verification of B1 by Federal Government

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Verification of B1 by Federal Government

I have a B1 visa. A State Agency has agreed to accept my B1 visa as part of their process for issuing me a certain license. Ordinarily they use the SAVE system to verify the realness of a visa. However, SAVE is to verify nonimmigrant status for the purpose of obtaining a "public benefit," with a license sometimes being considered a "benefit." The problem in this case is that a B1 does not authorize a visaholder to receive "benefits" in the way that normally one would view benefits, like entitlement, i.e., food stamps, social security, etc. So my visa does not show up in the SAVE report. The State Agency has agreed that even if I get a letter or even an email from anyone in the Federal Government or any affiliated agency to confirm that my B1 visa is valid, then they will accept that. So, I called USCIS, and they say they can't verify it. I called CBP - Customs and Border Protection, figuring OK there's a man or woman CBP agent sitting in front of a computer when you arrive at the airport and they look up your visa in their computer and see whether it's valid it or not so surely they can confirm that it's valid. NOPE. They said I have to call SAVE. I said SAVE can't help because I am not entitled to public benefits with my visa type. They said I had to call them anyway. SAVE said they can't help and I had to call CBP. It's a cycle and no one is giving me what I need.

Can anyone help me? I am desperate!

I think you are looking at this from the wrong direction. The State staff person who said they would accept your B1 visa as proof of your eligibility to obtain a "certain license," expressed an opinion for which he lacked authority, and every other agency you are talking to is giving you a correct answer.

You seem to be going around in a "catch 22" circle, but unless you have other evidence that your B1 visa qualifies you for the license (which I doubt), you may be fighting an uphill battle.

--Ray B

Originally posted by VerificationQuestions View Post
    I have a B1 visa. A State Agency has agreed to accept my B1 visa as part of their process for issuing me a certain license. Ordinarily they use the SAVE system to verify the realness of a visa. However, SAVE is to verify nonimmigrant status for the purpose of obtaining a "public benefit," with a license sometimes being considered a "benefit." The problem in this case is that a B1 does not authorize a visaholder to receive "benefits" in the way that normally one would view benefits, like entitlement, i.e., food stamps, social security, etc. So my visa does not show up in the SAVE report. The State Agency has agreed that even if I get a letter or even an email from anyone in the Federal Government or any affiliated agency to confirm that my B1 visa is valid, then they will accept that. So, I called USCIS, and they say they can't verify it. I called CBP - Customs and Border Protection, figuring OK there's a man or woman CBP agent sitting in front of a computer when you arrive at the airport and they look up your visa in their computer and see whether it's valid it or not so surely they can confirm that it's valid. NOPE. They said I have to call SAVE. I said SAVE can't help because I am not entitled to public benefits with my visa type. They said I had to call them anyway. SAVE said they can't help and I had to call CBP. It's a cycle and no one is giving me what I need.

Can anyone help me? I am desperate!

Comment

My superfluous information was distracting

The question is not whether this B1 will qualify me, and I can assure you that driver's licenses, for example, are public benefits, and the B1/B2 is used to prove lawful presence for a visitor's lawful presence for a driver's license in certain states. So let's move on from that point, and assume as you've pointed out that I have other evidence that it qualifies me in this particular situation for this particular license in this particular state. The state and the license are not relevant for the question I've raised; the only question is the Federal government and obtaining evidence of the authenticity of this B-1 visa document

All that being said, please let me sharpen the question so there is no risk of being misunderstood: Is there a way to verify the validity of a specific B1 visa apart from actually entering the country and having the CBP agent allow the visa holder to enter? I.e., here's a B1 scan you're looking at, now prove to me it isn't a forgery by contacting X, Y or Z government agency and having them issue you an email, fax or letter.

Which government agency would be willing to do that, or how would that be accomplished?

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
      X