Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Approved Business Visa interview experience

Hi everyone,
    This is an amazing community and helped me a great deal in the entire process of getting my business visa. I thought of posting my experience which might benefit others in future.

US Consulate - Mumbai, India
    2nd Feb 2017

Day 1 - Biometric data capture at OFC, BKC
    This is a fairly straight forward process. Carry your appointment letter, passport and final DS-160 confirmation page. You will go through a series of counters which will verify your details, paste barcode on back of your passport and give you a token. Approach the glass window counter when your turn comes and hand over the passport. The staff (in my case Indian) will capture your finger prints and photograph. You will get your passport back after this. Entire process takes not more than 30 mins.
    Tip - Business visa seekers, do wear formals. Prefer a nice suit.

Day 2 - Interview at US consulate, BKC
    This could be a slightly longer day. The security staff queues up candidates outside first and then let them in as per the appointment slot. As soon as you enter the building you will undergo a thorough security check after which you will be made to sit for some time depending on the rush at that time. Then you enter the area where Visa Officers will be interviewing candidates at multiple counters. You again stand in queue until your turn (~15 mins). Next, the interview.

Me - Good Morning officer!
    VO - Good Morning, passport please.
    Me - Here
    VO - What is the purpose of your visit?
    Me - To attend business meetings and workshops.
    VO - What kind of business meetings?
    Me - explained in 2-3 sentences
    VO - Is it with any client or internal?
    Me - With internal team.
    VO - Who's your employer?
    Me - Answered
    VO - What is your designation?
    Me - Answered
    VO - Have you travelled to any other country before?
    ME - Yes, I have travelled to UK.
    VO - Ok. Your visa is approved.
    Me - Thank you so much.
    VO - Thanks, have a good day.

Left the counter with a smile and received the passport in 1 week. Multiple entries, B1/B2, 10 years!

Takeaways -
    1. Understand what is permitted on a business visa. You cannot mention about any productive work as a purpose of your visit.
    2. Be confident. At the same time don't be arrogant.
    3. Be loud and clear when you answer. You might not hear the officer sometimes because of noise or faulty speakers but don't hesitate to ask him to repeat.
    4. Maintain eye contact with the visa officer all the time, even if he/she is not looking at you.
    5. Business travelers must consider wearing a sharp suit. You are never overdressed when you say business.

Hope this helps some of you at least. Good luck.
    Cheers!

Congratulations! Thank you for sharing your experience it will be useful to other users.
    This is not a legal advice. Use at your own risk.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X