Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Past F1 rejection, Later issued, Now for B1 to attend an OBSERVERSHIP IN A HOSPITAL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Past F1 rejection, Later issued, Now for B1 to attend an OBSERVERSHIP IN A HOSPITAL

Medical graduate here, Indian citizen, Indian resident.

I was rejected an F1 visa one year back, at a diplomatic post in India.
    I was subsequently issued an F1 when I re-applied a month later. The F1 was to take a test prep course for the USMLE step 2 ck.

I am not sure about the reason for my previous rejection, but I feel it might be related to the last two questions the VO asked me.

PAST REJECTION DETAILS
    1. "Why does your father have so much money" [I answered he earned It as profits in his business; my famly stays in a middle eastern country so we dont have to file tax returns, being indian citizens and since there are certain countries that dont tax in the middle east]
    2. "Have you completed your USMLE Step 1" [I was scheduled for the step 1 exam a week after that interview.]

She said "US immigration law is very strict, and we can-not issue a visa right now" I was ery upset, so I took the form and left.
    But I took it and applied for the visa gain.

CURRENT SITUATION
    Why I seek a B1 visa: Now I want to go to the US to attend an observership under the chief of cardiology in a hospital in NY. for two months. Why observership? I need atleast 2 months of clinical experience, to make my application into GRADUATE MEDICAL EDUCATION competitive, and If the physician feels I'm worth it, he will write me a LETTER OF RECOMENDATION.

MY PROFILE/DOCUMENTATION
    My father is sponsoring my trip, I dont have a job because I am studying for these exams. My family is well off so I dont need to worry about working. So I can put in full time into my academics. I have finished the USMLE step 1 (scores >240) and step 2 cs passed on first attempt when I took my first trip to the US for the test prep course.
    I have lived abroad till I was 18, I have 5 previous past passports with numerous visas, and I have around 7 visas and entry stamps on my passport from various countrues (I know this means nothing, i'm just briefing you about my profile)

MY QUESTIONS TO YOU, THE COMMUNITY
    My questions are, how do I avoid potential rejections? My past experience was quite stressful for me, so I am seeking some guidance from the experienced in this forum.

1. Is it a problem that I have not taken another step component examCK yet, I have finished 2/3 of the exams.
    2. Is it a problem that I have been rejected in the past, but subsequently re-issued a visa?
    3. Is it an issue if I bring up the fact that I want to pursue GRADUATE MEDICAL TRAINING in the US, because it is quite evident that I'm taking the USMLE exams for that purpose, I want to be honest but I don't want this to come off as "immigrant intent." I know true honestly is never the most diplomatic nor the safest thing to do, but I have no plans to immigrate or overstay. I just want to finish the two months I need, in the hospital. I have the letter of invitation.

Thank you, for taking the time to read and TIA for your advices.

ADDENDUM1:
    1. Graduate medicine in the US is far superior to that in India. There is an exchange program where we have to train in the US, and come back to our home country, sponsored by the J1 visa. I dont think this comes off as immigrant intent, because legally we have to come back. Surely, they must already know I will comply with all the rules and regulations. I am not going on a J1 now but that would be my eventual plan, to study graduate medicine in the US to become a better physician, and gain higher quality knowledge than studying graduate medicine in India, US medical system is overlooked by central authorities who ensure the quality of education is consistent with their standards.

2. Current purpose [B1] is to follow the chief of the department around, so I can engage in clinical discussions, and watch him perform complex procedures, get inspired, and impress him so I can get a letter of recommendation if I am worth it.
    My travel plans are very fixed, I have booked student housing, I know exactly where and when I have to go, and I can even book return tickets, but the consulte websit said, dont make plans already etc. But I want to book tickets now to avoid any possible fare hike..

What are my risks if I tell the VO that I wish to study graduate medicine, and that I will come back at the end of my J1 I get that opportunity, but the current purpose is a b1 to follow a doctor, and gain some insight, and the letter of recommendation as required by my application?

Will I come off as immigrant intent already, even if the purpose is a short stay? [My dad is sponsoring me, we have our own bungalow, and a good amount of savings that normally should not be a problem; I have an old job offer from a hospital director asking me to work for him after I finish my exams.]
    Last edited by Doc17; 07-20-2017, 02:50 AM. Reason: Added more detail; clarifications to my case

The question that comes to mind, is: Do you have proof of any ties to your home country. e.g. Do you have a job offer waiting at a hospital in your home country? Do you own property there, renting, contracts to proof, etc. etc.

If I were you, I would be honest about everything that is on record.

1) I don't know what that is.
    2) It is on record. Depending what the reason for the refusal was, it may or may not be an issue.
    3) Find out which visa you will need for that and that answer will tell you whether it may be considered immigrant intent. (Make sure about the length of your potential graduate medical training. It doesn't sound right that it's two months, but I may be wrong. Not that two months is potentially an issue, you just need to be informed about future plans so that there are no discrepancies in your answers.)
    Not legal advice.

Comment

Thank you for getting back to my query. I really appreciate it.

Originally posted by NettieL View Post
      The question that comes to mind, is: Do you have proof of any ties to your home country. e.g. Do you have a job offer waiting at a hospital in your home country? Do you own property there, renting, contracts to proof, etc. etc.

If I were you, I would be honest about everything that is on record.

1) I don't know what that is.
      2) It is on record. Depending what the reason for the refusal was, it may or may not be an issue.
      3) Find out which visa you will need for that and that answer will tell you whether it may be considered immigrant intent. (Make sure about the length of your potential graduate medical training. It doesn't sound right that it's two months, but I may be wrong. Not that two months is potentially an issue, you just need to be informed about future plans so that there are no discrepancies in your answers.)
      1. I have to compete a series of 4 exams. And some mandatory Clinical experience (non employment, I can just watch the US doctor treat patients). I have to do one more test. But the offer I got is with a chief of a department in a major hospital.

2. I'm not worried about the first rejection. It was probably me not having taken exam1, and I was going for a course for exam2, so that must have come off weird because the second time I went in for the F1 students visa it was quite short and he VO just asked me if I finished the test and when my result will come out.
      3. The current trip is not for grad medical education.
      I want to pursue that later. For that i would need to finish some clinical experience (why I'm going now, it's typically done on a B1) and I have applied for a b1 to attend this observation trip.

As for ties, family finances, we have a house here, I have travelled abroad, my exam scores are 2SD above average.
      I just hope the system is fair. I'm worried about jeopardizing my future.

I'm going to be 100% honest I just want to tactfully word it. I have somewhat of an anxiety problem (OCD, type a personality).

Comment

I do have an old job offer

I do have a job offer from a doc who wanted me to work at his hospital after my graduation.
        Although I had to temporarily turn it down because I was studying for my test full time.

Will an old job offer do? It does say I can join when I finish my academics. It's at an ICU of a 50 Bed hospital by the hospital director. Is this a strong tie?

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
        X