Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starting business on B1?

Hello,

I have been reading this forum for a while now and this is my first post.

We want to start up a business in the USVI.
    First we tought about getting our E2 visa here in Belgium and then open the business, wich would take a long time and a lot of money and frustration.

Now we heard that you can actually start up the business and everything on a B1 and do change of status to E2 (premium) in the US once the business is up and running with us employees already at work.

Can we apply for a B1 to search for a business or to set up a business? What do we tell the embassy?
    We were also told that you can actually run your business but not really work in it, and get no income from it. This would be no problem for us for the first year.

Can you do the same with the VWP or do we really need a B1?

Any info on this one is welcome, we would like to go as soon as we can and start up our business.

thanks again,
    Inge

Like on a B1 you may start and organize your business while on a visa waiver but the difference is you cannot change status from a visawaiver to any other visa and the stay is only 90 days. I suggest you start and organize
    your business for a few months (or the first year) making frequent trips on your visa waiver and when the business is up and running you can apply for a
    B1 citing that you need to stay longer than 90 days to organize the running business. That way you will have less chance for a B1 refusal.

Originally posted by ingetje
    Hello,

I have been reading this forum for a while now and this is my first post.

We want to start up a business in the USVI.
    First we tought about getting our E2 visa here in Belgium and then open the business, wich would take a long time and a lot of money and frustration.

Now we heard that you can actually start up the business and everything on a B1 and do change of status to E2 (premium) in the US once the business is up and running with us employees already at work.

Can we apply for a B1 to search for a business or to set up a business? What do we tell the embassy?
    We were also told that you can actually run your business but not really work in it, and get no income from it. This would be no problem for us for the first year.

Can you do the same with the VWP or do we really need a B1?

Any info on this one is welcome, we would like to go as soon as we can and start up our business.

thanks again,
    Inge

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X