Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DS 160 and B1 Visa: Main ocupation and education (3rd country national)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DS 160 and B1 Visa: Main ocupation and education (3rd country national)

Hello,

I am a Brazilian PhD student currently in the UK doing an academic visit/research internship at an UK university with funding from a Brazilian research agency (ie. I am not a student nor an employee of the university in the UK, I am here under Tier 5 - GAE visa, if that matters).

I need the B1 visa to attend a conference in the US and, as I will have to apply in the UK as third country national, I have two questions regarding the DS 160 form:

1) What would be the best option to fill in Present Main Occupation:
    a) PhD Student at my home university in Brazil (I have a letter as proof of enrolment).
    b) Academic Visitor at my host university in the UK (I have letters with proof of visit, agreement and funding).

2) Regarding education, the form asks to fill in information from secondary level (high school). I have the details, however I did not bring my high school certificate to the UK, only my BSc diploma (with a sworn translation to English). Should I fill the high school information even if I cannot produce a proof of of it to the interviewer?

Thank you in advance.

Originally posted by r_researcher View Post
    1) What would be the best option to fill in Present Main Occupation:
    a) PhD Student at my home university in Brazil (I have a letter as proof of enrolment).
    b) Academic Visitor at my host university in the UK (I have letters with proof of visit, agreement and funding).
    Are you on a short visit to UK (<3 months) or more that that?
    - If short visit, better to go back to your home country, get the visa from there & show occupation as PhD student.
    - If on long visit, you can show your current residence as in UK, hence applying from UK & you'll be come Academic visitor.

2) Regarding education, the form asks to fill in information from secondary level (high school). I have the details, however I did not bring my high school certificate to the UK, only my BSc diploma (with a sworn translation to English). Should I fill the high school information even if I cannot produce a proof of of it to the interviewer?
    Do not hide any information, so should fill in high school details for sure. Mostly they do not ask for school certificates, rather BSc will be more important.

For the original certificates, you can ask someone in your home country to at least send you an soft (scan) copy. If asked during the interview, please provide the printout of scan copy & share the real reason of non-availability of original document. Worst case, they may ask you to provide the original certificate, instead of rejection of your visa.

Hope this helps
    - I am not an Attorney, hence not giving any legal advice. Just sharing MY opinion with an intent to help others.

If my opinion helping you, then please do click "like" button below.

Comment

Since my stay in the UK is of almost a year, I will really have to apply here. Also, I just got the soft copies in hand.

Thank you!
      Last edited by r_researcher; 08-31-2018, 03:02 PM. Reason: Spelling and grammar

Comment

Since my stay in the UK is of almost a year, I will really have to apply here. Also, I just got the soft copies in hand.

Thank you!
        Great, best of luck !!
        - I am not an Attorney, hence not giving any legal advice. Just sharing MY opinion with an intent to help others.

If my opinion helping you, then please do click "like" button below.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
        X