Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• B1/B2 Name bifurcation help

Hello

I have an existing B1/B2 visa (traveled multiple times) and the name details of my passport / visa are as follows :
    Passport Given name : XX YY
    Passport Surname : (blank)

Visa Given name : FNU
    Visa Surname : XX YY

My passport is up for expiry, and in my new passport I'm thinking of bifurcating my name into - Given name : XX, Surname : YY. I wanted to know whether I can still travel hassle-free on my old passport / visa, and if any of you have successfully done the same. OR else, if those of you who've faced the same situation were forced to get a new B1/B2 stamped on the new passport.

The steps I've taken so far are :
    1. Scoured the internet / multiple forums for similar queries (Found a lot of similar questions. However with few / unsatisfactory responses)
    2. Emailed the embassy (Was met with their standard copy / paste response from the website, concerning name change)
    3. Called their helpline (The other person did not know as well. He says a lot depends on the immigration officer at the port of entry, and that their official recommendation to all people with name related changes is to try and get a new visa stamped for a smooth and hassle-free travel)

Any response is appreciated!

Thanks

Originally posted by praveen.kottath View Post
    Hello

I have an existing B1/B2 visa (traveled multiple times) and the name details of my passport / visa are as follows :
    Passport Given name : XX YY
    Passport Surname : (blank)

Visa Given name : FNU
    Visa Surname : XX YY

My passport is up for expiry, and in my new passport I'm thinking of bifurcating my name into - Given name : XX, Surname : YY. I wanted to know whether I can still travel hassle-free on my old passport / visa, and if any of you have successfully done the same. OR else, if those of you who've faced the same situation were forced to get a new B1/B2 stamped on the new passport.

The steps I've taken so far are :
    1. Scoured the internet / multiple forums for similar queries (Found a lot of similar questions. However with few / unsatisfactory responses)
    2. Emailed the embassy (Was met with their standard copy / paste response from the website, concerning name change)
    3. Called their helpline (The other person did not know as well. He says a lot depends on the immigration officer at the port of entry, and that their official recommendation to all people with name related changes is to try and get a new visa stamped for a smooth and hassle-free travel)

Any response is appreciated!

Thanks
    Not a big problem - you might be questioned though at the POE.

Your visa is still on your old passport? right? And the Given name & Surname still not matching there too.

Whenever you'll be travelling, you'll be carrying both the passports. So POE officer can verify the details manually.

The officers rely on their own systems - not on your passports - for example, your fingerprints, name, DOB, address etc. So they can easily identify you.
    - I am not an Attorney, hence not giving any legal advice. Just sharing MY opinion with an intent to help others.

If my opinion helping you, then please do click "like" button below.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X