B1 Visa for USA accepted after rejection/reapproval in 2 weeks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• B1 Visa for USA accepted after rejection/reapproval in 2 weeks

I wanted to share my experience after reapplication and approval of my B1 Visa.

I was visiting the US for participating in a competition. I had everything required, enrolled in an institution pending graduation after 1.5 years, invitation letter, sponsorship for a complete trip.

At first attempt, here's the transcript:

Interviewer: Purpose of Travel
    Me: I am invited by *** for the finals of the competition *** taking place in **
    Interviewer: Have you traveled outside of India before?
    Me: No Sir
    Interviewer: How did you get to know about this competition
    Me: I got to know about this competition through the website ***(probably he looked that up, a lot of typing here )
    Interviewer: What degree are you pursuing?
    Me: I am pursuing a degree in *** at ***
    Interviewer: It's a Bachelors or Masters Degree
    Me: It's *** degree
    Interviewer: Oh okay got it
    Interviewer: Can I see your invitation?
    Me: Yes sure (slid the letter)
    Interviewer: Saw the letter, ok (probably opened up the website ***)
    Interviewer: What does ***(sponsor) do?
    Me: It's a *** which has business in ***
    Interviewer: Where are you going?
    Me: ***
    Interviewer: Who is funding it?
    Me: *** will bear all the costs
    Interviewer: How many years of schooling have you completed?
    Me: *** years after High School
    Interviewer: When will you be graduating?
    Me: ***(***.5 yrs then)
    Interviewer: What do you plan to do after graduation?
    Me: I intend to take up a job
    Interviewer: Where?
    Me: That's not decided as of now but mostly in the IT sector
    Interviewer: Ok
    Interviewer: I am sorry to inform you but you don't qualify for this Visa. The reason is mentioned in this letter(handed out 214(b) sheet)
    Me: Thank You

As you see, I wasn't expecting a lot of questions, and I don't know why he asked them...

Before reapplying, ht to revise the invitation letter including a guarantee clause that I will not be involved in any activity outside of B1 and they take responsibility for my return back to India. I also had the flight tickets and booking ready. I did prepare a set of questions that could have been asked reading on these forums. But to be honest, I was not confident but more nervous this time.

So, here's the transcript for the 2nd attempt after 2 weeks:

Interviewer: Can I please have your passport?
    Me: Sure (slid the passport)
    Interviewer: Why are you going to the US?
    Me: I am invited by *** for the finals of the competition *** taking place in **
    Interviewer: (after a lot of researching and probably looking up my previous rejection) How long?
    Me: 4 nights, 5 days
    Interviewer: Can I see the invitation letter, please? (points at the invitation letter I kept beside me)
    Me: Sure (slid the invitation letter)
    Interviewer: (Read the letter, saw something on the screen, probably glancing the reason for rejection last time) Ok, so you are a finalist, you already have won the nationals?
    Me: Yeah
    Interviewer: Ok, so is it a team competition or single participant?
    Me: It's a team competition, and my teammate already got her VISA approved.
    Interviewer: (types a lot) No problem, your VISA is approved, you will get an SMS in a few days.
    Me: (Smiling) Thank you, thanks a lot.

That's it I got my VISA within a few days.

Now I don't get the reason for rejection last time, as he barely asked me any questions, people say it's about confidence, but I was twice as nervous as the last time because it was already rejected and I didn't have time for any further reapplication. Moreover, people say it's only useful to reapply if a certain amount of time has passed such as 3 months or circumstances have changed. All these, remarks on these forums made me more nervous while applying for the second time, with my legs shaking as I stood in front of the window.

I strongly think people should reapply if their reason to go is justified, also after correcting for errors in the first application. I think the revised invitation letter helped my case, or maybe it was just consular's mood at first application because of which I was rejected or maybe it was just luck.

Should you consult any immigration advisor/lawyer? I think you should if it gets rejected after the first application, the sponsors consulted their advisors for my case. It's a lot better to invest a few more bucks than to get rejected again.

Originally posted by arcsaber View Post
    Interviewer: What do you plan to do after graduation?
    Me: I intend to take up a job
    Interviewer: Where?
    Me: That's not decided as of now but mostly in the IT sector
    I guess this is the reason of rejection. IT sector in USA has high demand of labor & since you were not sure where you going to take up a job, you were rejected.
    - I am not an Attorney, hence not giving any legal advice. Just sharing MY opinion with an intent to help others.

If my opinion helping you, then please do click "like" button below.

Comment

denial at port of entry

my colleague worker and i were invited to a conference in US this year, we went for the visa interview and were given 5years multiple entry for B1B2 visa. due to some circumstances, we couldn't attend the conference. my friend decided to go to the US with his visa last month and was denied entry and has also be banned from entering the US for 5 years. why do you think this happened and will i also be treated like him if i decide to go to US with my visa. though we did not attend the conference, the visa has not expired yet. thank you

Comment

Originally posted by tmayne View Post
        my colleague worker and i were invited to a conference in US this year, we went for the visa interview and were given 5years multiple entry for B1B2 visa. due to some circumstances, we couldn't attend the conference. my friend decided to go to the US with his visa last month and was denied entry and has also be banned from entering the US for 5 years. why do you think this happened and will i also be treated like him if i decide to go to US with my visa. though we did not attend the conference, the visa has not expired yet. thank you
        Its obvious - your friend applied for visa to attend a conference, which he never attended. Then he travelling for tourism & seems like without much documentations - which means he somehow managed to get the visa & then misusing it.

For you - it depends, if you can give proper answers to questions of CBP officer at POE, you should not have any problem.

Though the visa is valid - but the primary purpose of that visa was not achieved, hence you too can be deported/banned.

Duplicate : https://www.immihelp.com/forum/showt...-port-of-entry
        - I am not an Attorney, hence not giving any legal advice. Just sharing MY opinion with an intent to help others.

If my opinion helping you, then please do click "like" button below.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
        X