How much dollars can I take ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much dollars can I take ???

I have got a B1/B2 visa. I am a third yr UG student and am visiting US for training purposes. I thank immihelp n amlan 4 th help they provided me wid the visa.

I have a small query now. Can I take around 1k USD with me for expenses without any account of that? Is it compulsory to get the purchase of the dollars (say around 1000) written down in ur passport?

Thanks in advance.

You can take up to $ 10k without having to declare it.
    Disclaimer: The information you obtain from me at this forum is not, nor is it intended to be, legal advice. You should consult an attorney for individual advice regarding your own situation.

Comment

You can carry $$$ without having in written on the passport. Like mentioned earlier, 10k is the limit (cash). You can carry travellers checks and other forms of ready cash as well. $1000 is not at all a problem. But watch out, you may need more depending on what expenses you need to take care of here and how long your trip is going to be.

I am not a lawyer and you need to consult with one to validate any info posted on the forum and discuss your case specifics. H1b Question? Read the FAQ first.

Comment

India also has regulations

It is not clear whether the original query was about potential problems at the Indian end or US end.

At the US end, there is no particular problem about amounts up to 10 K. The immigration or customs man at the point of entry might just ask "how much money do you have?" but not press the point. Credit cards could also be used but only as an additional source of funds in addition to cash and cheques etc.

From the Indian side, there is a small probability that customs people may ask you how much money you are carrying. So you should carry the proof of purchase of the foreign currency. This is more likely to happen if your flight is via Middle East or South-east Asia. However, a student is not so likely to be questioned unless he generally appears suspicious.

Comment

Thanks

Thanks a lot.....
          I am going en-route through germany. I will be taking 1000$ cash and credit card with me. Thanks again @txh1b for your concern.

few more question.....

1) Is any form of medical insurance compulsory for 2and a half months of stay there? Will they ask me during emigration check? I don't have any at present.

2) My professor would be paying me for my expenses there. What is the best way to encash it during my stay there ???? Will he require original bills and copy of tickets to be able to make payments to me? Payments are very nominal.

Thanks in advance........

Comment

1. There are plenty of options for visitor medical insurance on this home page of immihelp. Check them out. It is not mandatory to have insurance as far as entry into US goes but it is strongly recommended to carry/purchase some insurance while you are here to avoid unnecessary problems as medical costs are very high. May be the school/professor will pay for the insurance as well. Schools also sell inusrance policies for students.
            2. Some universities allow cashing checks in the Bursar's office or the accounts office. You can also cash it at the banks with or without an account and they may charge some money to cash it without an account. What they need for payment is strictly upto the university rules.

I am not a lawyer and you need to consult with one to validate any info posted on the forum and discuss your case specifics. H1b Question? Read the FAQ first.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
            X