Accepting expenses under B1/B2 VISA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Accepting expenses under B1/B2 VISA

I wanted to inquire about a certain type of VISA for USA.
    Consider the following information.

1:I am going as an individual for a Business training.
    2:The organization which is conducting this training has invited me for the training.They will provide the necessary
    cover letter for the same.
    3:As I am attending the training they will provide me with some money for my expenses.This will be done through cheque payment
    on my name.

According to my info this qualifies for B1/B2 VISA.Please let me know if I need to apply for any other VISA.
    I have the following queries:

Under which VISA do I qualify B1/B2.Or is it any other VISA?

1:Will I be able to cash this cheque during my stay in USA under B1/B2 VISA.
    2:Can I open my account in USA to cash this cheque during my stay in USA under B1/B2 VISA.?
    3:Can I cash this cheque through my International account during my stay in USA under B1/B2 VISA.
    4:Are there other ways to cash the cheque if the above are not possible during my stay in USA under B1/B2 VISA?

Thanks in Advance.

Yes, you can.
    Disclaimer: The information you obtain from me at this forum is not, nor is it intended to be, legal advice. You should consult an attorney for individual advice regarding your own situation.

Comment

1:Will I be able to cash this cheque during my stay in USA under B1/B2 VISA.
      May be from check cashing agencies/banks but most banks would require a SSN/ITN number to open an account. SSN/ITIN is not needed for agency to make a payment for expenses incurred.

2:Can I open my account in USA to cash this cheque during my stay in USA under B1/B2 VISA.?

If you have SSN/ITN. SSN which is not generally available for visitors.

3:Can I cash this cheque through my International account during my stay in USA under B1/B2 VISA.

Yes, you can.

4:Are there other ways to cash the cheque if the above are not possible during my stay in USA under B1/B2 VISA?

Plenty of check cashing agencies. But they will take a cut.

On a B1/B2 visa, you can only strictly get paid of actual expenses incurred. Nothing more than that.

I am not a lawyer and you need to consult with one to validate any info posted on the forum and discuss your case specifics. H1b Question? Read the FAQ first.

Comment

@PraetorianXI, @txh1b

Thanks for your reply.
        I was just concerned that accepting money while on B1/B2 may lead to some legal implications.

Some more queries:
        1: Can I co-found a business along with an investor from US on B1/B2 Visa.
        If no which VISA type will I have to apply for?
        2: Can I own equity in any company founded by organization from USA on B1/B2 Visa? If no which VISA type will I have to apply for?
        3:Is there any procedure by which I can start a startup in USA?

Thank in Advance.

Comment

1. The B-1 Business visa is appropriate for the following types of travelers:

Employees of a company who come to the United States to solicit sales, negotiate contracts, or take orders from established customers for work that will be performed in Singapore or in other countries outside the United States;
          Employees of a company or office of a U.S. company who come to the United States to engage in consultations with U.S. business associates;
          Business people attending professional conferences or conventions, or executive seminars in the United States;
          Business people who come to the United States to undertake independent research, such as product or market research;
          Investors coming to the United States to set up their investments; and
          Physicians coming to observe new procedures and to consult without performing any patient care.

Source: http://singapore.usembassy.gov/tourist_business.html

2. Yes, Dividends are not a problem. But you should not perform work in any position for the company.

3. There is an investor visa category E-2 and also permanent immigration possible if interested based on certain factors available here.

I am not a lawyer and you need to consult with one to validate any info posted on the forum and discuss your case specifics. H1b Question? Read the FAQ first.

Comment

Thank you.

This is my scenario.

1:I will be going to US as an Indian citizen on B1/B2 visa.
            I will train there for about 3 months through an organization who will pay my expenses.They are very nominal.

2:Then I will be forming a company with them owning 10% in my company I will own 90 %. The actual money investment from me is 0.They will be investing about 20 k $.

3:Then we will be asking VCs to invest in our company.

I guess things in part 2 cannot be done on B1/B2 visa. I need to know if there is any way for the part 2.
            Part 3 seems no problem for us if part 2 could be done.

Thanks in advance.

Comment

My 2 cents...one more time

I think you can establish the business and be a co-owner in the business. That is the part that ends for business/visitor visa. If you being a 90% owner requires you to perform work for the company and hold a position, I think that gets tricky and is not allowed on B1/B2. You can employ someone to do that on your behalf.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
              X