Early arrival for conference on B1 Visa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Early arrival for conference on B1 Visa

My wife is a student in India while I am in US. She has got a B1 visa to attend a conference in July. Her visa is valid until 2 days after the end of the conference. I would like her to stay with me for a week. Will she have problems with immigration if she arrives a week earlier than the conference? Or is there a way for her to stay for a week after her conference? Please advice me. Thank you.

Duration of stay is not determined by the visa validity but it is determined by the officer at entry by the date on the I-94 card.
    Visa only determines the date you can enter. Even if one enters on the last day of the visa validity, one is able to stay 3 months if the stay granted is 3 months. Usually they give 3 months to Business visitors.
    Last edited by peace; 05-16-2008, 01:58 AM.

Comment

Thank you peace for your advice. I still have the following questions. Will they give 3 months stay for conference visits also when her invitation letter says it is for 2 weeks? Is it ok to book her ticket for a week extra after visa expiration? Will staying a week more affect her visa applications in future? I appreciate all your help. Thank you.

Comment

They usually give 3 months to first time visitors whatever your desired stay.
        If she is entering again after a recent visit to US, she may be given less.

But when asked about the duration of stay she must say close to the period of conference like 3-4 weeks and also have the ticket booked for the same period. ( if asked, she can say 1-2 weeks for a bit of sight seeing and should not mention you unless asked). A husband in US may make the officer think she may not return.
        Last edited by peace; 05-16-2008, 03:57 AM.

Comment

Thankyou peace for your valuable suggestions

Comment

sankara

sankara,

When your wife applied visa for the conference, did her sponsor had to fill I134? Was I134 filled by the director or the organization who invited her? Our organization is trying to invite couple of people from India here but I am stuck with what support documents to send them. The organization doesn't have DOB, SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER, ETC.ETC that I134 ask to fill.

Any help will be appreciated.

Comment

zaragyemo, My wife got offer letter from the University offering reimbursement for the conference. She used that invitation to get the visa. She did not receive or have to fill the I134 form. I hope this helps. Good luck.

Comment

zaragyemo

Organizations need not send an I-134.

Just send an invitation letter and a brochure of the company showing turnover, area of business etc. and official registration with the govt.

Comment

thank you both of you.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                  X