Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• revisiting USA on B1 visa

Hi,
    I am in USA on B1 visa with 5 yrs multiple entry for my CS and got only 3 months stay which expires on 13 AUG 2008 . During this time I get an offer for volunteer research for 6 months but to late to extend my visa. So I have booked my return ticket on 29th July and plan to go back again.
    1) Can you please tell me is it ok to go back to USA after staying in INDIA for 1 month?
    2)An invitation letter from the professor under which I will be volunteering will be good enough to show at the PORT OF ENTRY? If not what else I need.

I am really confused please help me out.
    THANK YOU

That kind of work might not be allowed on visitors visa and will amount to illegal employment. Clarify with your employer.

Comment

1. No. 2. No.

You're almost violating the terms of your visa.

Be careful.

Comment

It it is allowed to work as clinical research volunteer on B1 visa as I won't be getting any pay. I am working for the experience only.
        Thank you

Comment

Even if you are not getting paid, it is violating terms of the visa. Remember... in the DS-156 you said "No" to the question "Are you going to the US for work?". Please use the visa for the purpose it was given to you for. Also, the second concern here will be at the PoE when you'll be asked what are you back again for, so early?? Try saying employment (without pay) and see the consequences for yourself

Comment

thanks for the advice.
            The volunteer service office says B1 visa is OK.

Comment

This is risky. I agree with Orion. You will be questioned like anything at the POE.

Comment

At the POE i showed the invitation letter and they gave me for 6 months.
                Thanks everybody

Comment

Originally posted by premila
                  At the POE i showed the invitation letter and they gave me for 6 months.
                  Thanks everybody
                  You are in your own little world, aren't you? very experienced people in immigration matters are telling you that you are violating the terms of your visa, and yet you choose to ignore that?

It may not be what you want to hear, but it is the truth... You can not be employed, whether you get paid or not. This will hinder any chances you may have later for ANY kind of visa to the USA. Reconsider your idea.
                  Disclaimer: The information you obtain from me at this forum is not, nor is it intended to be, legal advice. You should consult an attorney for individual advice regarding your own situation.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                  X