Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• journalist on B1/B2 visa

Hi,

I am a freelance journalist and write for several international publications including an equity research agency in the U.S.. This agency has invited me to participate in an internal company conference in September. I will not be doing any reporting or writing articles on this trip. I have a B1/B2 visa issued in 2001 on which I have made one journey that same year. The visa has annotation which says "Journalist".
    I have read recent reports that journalists on B1/B2 visa are being turned back from the U.S. and asked to get an "I" visa instead. Can I travel on my existing visa for the above stated purpose.

Thanks in advance for your help!

mahmed11

I have heard not such reports... where did you hear them? you can try your trip, for as long as you have a formal invitation from the company.
    Disclaimer: The information you obtain from me at this forum is not, nor is it intended to be, legal advice. You should consult an attorney for individual advice regarding your own situation.

Comment

On US embassy web site in Singapore.

Comment

You have misunderstood.

If you are coming to the US for journalist activity, you should get I visa.

If you are coming just for tourism, you can use B1/B2 visa.
        Immihelp Support
        No legal advice. Use at your own risk.

Visa and Greencard Tracker

Visitor Medical Insurance for your visiting relatives.

Comment

Attending a conference is an appropriate use of B1/B2 visa. Since you are a journalist and it is noted on your passport, it may be worthwhile to consult with an attorney for his view on the matter and what documentation you should be sure to carry to facilitate your entry. The company inviting you may have a staff or consulting attorney on retainer who can assist you.

Comment

Thanks C4us!.

This is the first useful reply I have received to several sources querried. I also e-mailed the US embassy in India and this is what I got from them.

"You may wish to travel on your valid visa. However, please note that a visa is not a guarantee of entry into the U.S.; a visa simply allows you to seek permission to enter the U.S. An officer of the U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS) decides your "duration of stay" in the U.S. at the port of entry. The decision is based upon the type of visa you hold, the purpose of your entry into the U.S. and the length of time thought necessary to accomplish your purpose. At this time the officer can deny entry, particularly if your visa is annotated for a specific purpose, if you have overstayed on a previous visit to the U.S. or your planned activities do not appear to match the type of visa presented."

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
            X