Traveling as a tourist on B1/B2 visa.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Traveling as a tourist on B1/B2 visa.

I have a B1/B2 Visa valid for 10 years with Multiple entries and no annotations. My employer in India had it processed for me so I could travel to the US for business purposes. I have traveled to US on two occasions, once in 2007 for a period of 10 weeks and again in 2008 for a period of 20 days. On both these visits I was a business traveler with invitation letters from my employer (that I presented at the POE) and all accommodation/trip-cancellation-insurance/living expenses were taken care of by my employer.

Now I would like to visit the US as a tourist. I will bear all the cost of the travel and stay. I plan to stay with a friend who is a green card holder.

My question is, can I travel to US as a tourist on my current B1/B2 visa? Or do I have to reapply for a tourist visa? If it is OK to travel on my current visa, what do I need to tell/present the officers at the POE? Do I need to carry any documentation?

Any help would be appreciated.
    Last edited by vikramj; 12-05-2008, 03:40 PM.

You can travel for visit on the current visa. You would need an invite from your friend offering his house for accommodation. Nothing is needed at POE in general other than return tickets and proof of funds being available for your trip expenses.

I am not a lawyer and you need to consult with one to validate any info posted on the forum and discuss your case specifics. H1b Question? Read the FAQ first.

Comment

Thank you txh1b. That helps. However, when you say I need to present an invitation letter from my friend does it have to be some sort of a formal invitation on some sort of a prescribed form? Or just an e-mail would do?

Comment

You need not present anything unless asked. An email would do.

I am not a lawyer and you need to consult with one to validate any info posted on the forum and discuss your case specifics. H1b Question? Read the FAQ first.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
        X