Help required to fill DS160 for B1 visa as Independent Contractor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help required to fill DS160 for B1 visa as Independent Contractor

I work as an independent contractor for a US based company. They have invited me to attend a conference and will sponsor my trip. I work from home and take care of the taxes myself.
    My questions are:
    1. What do I enter in who is sponsoring the trip?
    The options available are US Employer or Other organisation. On entering other organisation, further details are required such as relationship with the person. Do I enter client in this space?
    2. What do I enter under current employment? Self-Employed and my home address or US company details?
    Last edited by pranayKitts; 04-10-2019, 02:22 AM.

Originally posted by pranayKitts View Post
    Mention the name of the organization paying for your trip.

2. The options available are US Employer or Other organisation. On entering other organisation, further details are required such as relationship with the person. Do I enter client in this space?
    Yes, mention direct client.

3. What do I enter under current employment? Self-Employed and my home address or US company details?
    Freelancer or you can say owner of your small firm.
    - I am not an Attorney, hence not giving any legal advice. Just sharing MY opinion with an intent to help others.

If my opinion helping you, then please do click "like" button below.

Comment

Thank You very much for your opinion. I filled up the DS 160 as per your suggestions and got my B1/B2 visa approved.

Comment

Glad I was able to help. Congratulations !!
        - I am not an Attorney, hence not giving any legal advice. Just sharing MY opinion with an intent to help others.

Comment

Hi Libra I work as a self employed jeweller, how can I state it properly under current employment?
          Last edited by Shameka; 06-12-2019, 01:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Shameka View Post
            Hi Libra I work as a self employed jeweller, how can I state it properly under current employment?
            Answered your question on this thread:
            Hello everyone. I'm planning to apply for i and my 15 year old daughter tourist visa to spend the Christmas holiday with my cousin and his family in december. We also woikd like to experience the snowy weather and visit a few popular tourist destinations. but they are people telling me that I can't apply with my daughter

putting your question everywhere in the forum won't really help.

Comment

Sorry this was my first question about this before you came over my area. I have no idea you would have given advice on my original post about the B1/B2 visa application for i and my daughter. So I just decide to ask about the current employment option there. Waa trying to delete this one but I don't think I have access to do that.
              Last edited by Shameka; 06-12-2019, 04:38 PM.

Comment

I work as an Independent Consultant - for Indian IT company ( based in India) and their USA based client. Client has invited me for 3 weeks for requirement gathering meetings. I've mentioned 'Self employed' in DS-160 form and provided my home address ( I have registered business in same name and home address). Have provided occupation as "Computer Science' and 'Monthly Salary' as 'Does not apply'. please advise, do I need to provide income from monthly invoices that I bill to my Indian IT company? I have all the proofs to show. Please help with this information to fill DS-160.

Comment

Originally posted by Vsba View Post
                  I work as an Independent Consultant - for Indian IT company ( based in India) and their USA based client. Client has invited me for 3 weeks for requirement gathering meetings. I've mentioned 'Self employed' in DS-160 form and provided my home address ( I have registered business in same name and home address). Have provided occupation as "Computer Science' and 'Monthly Salary' as 'Does not apply'. please advise, do I need to provide income from monthly invoices that I bill to my Indian IT company? I have all the proofs to show. Please help with this information to fill DS-160.
                  I work as an Independent Consultant - for Indian IT company ( based in India) and their USA based client. Client has invited me for 3 weeks for requirement gathering meetings. I've mentioned 'Self employed' in DS-160 form and provided my home address ( I have registered business in same name, home address). Have mentioned

Comment

I worked as a contractor and I changed 3 employers as of now. from since 1 year I'm with new employer which is 4th employer.
                    So for filling DS-160 form, I filled only 3 employers information, I'm not getting an option to fill first employer information.

can anyone help me out, how to fill that extra one employer information?

prompt responses are much appreciated.

Thanks,

Comment

I have been reading the DS-160-related posts on this forum for a long time. These questions don't end there! And even when it seems to me that I have seen explanations for all possible problems, there will certainly be someone who has faced a new obstacle. I think someone should have written the docs manual by now. Maybe even a book. I definitely know someone who could help you all with your questions. But I'm afraid his services will cost you too much https://www.playlouder.com/how-to-incorporate-yourself/.
                      Last edited by Bablosik; 11-29-2021, 08:19 AM.

Comment

Thank you for post.

Comment

I work as an independent contractor for a US based company. They have invited me to attend a conference and will sponsor my trip. I work from home and take care of the taxes myself.
                          My questions are:
                          The options available are US Employer or Other organisation. On entering other organisation, further details are required such as relationship with the person. Do I enter client in this space?
                          2. What do I enter under current employment? Self-Employed and my home address or US company details?
                          Hello. I also work as an independent contractor for a US based company and I got invited to attend some conferences on a sponsored trip. Are independent contractors (1099 contractors) allowed to apply for B1 VISA (Business) or they can apply only for B2 VISA (Tourist)?

Which one did you apply?
                          Thank you in advance!

Comment

Originally posted by Vsba View Post
                            Welcome to the forum! It sounds like you have an interesting situation and it's great that you're getting all the necessary documents in order. As far as providing income from monthly invoices, I'm not sure if that is required. I would suggest contacting the US Embassy and asking them directly. They should be able to provide you with the answer you need. Good luck!

Comment

My questions are:
                              The options available are US Employer or Other organisation teaching manners. On entering other organisation, further details are required such as relationship with the person. Do I enter client in this space?
                              1. In the "Who is sponsoring the trip?" section, since you work as an independent contractor, you can select "Other organization" and provide the necessary details. In the space for the relationship with the person, you can mention your professional relationship with your client or describe them as your client.
                              2. Under the "Current employment" section, you should enter your self-employed status and provide your home address. Since you work as an independent contractor and take care of your own taxes, it is appropriate to indicate that you are self-employed rather than providing the US company details

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                              X