Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• B1 Visa Denied For Conference

Hello everyone,,
    Today, my visa application for a B1 visa to the US was refused. The reason given was section 214 (b) of the US Immigration Act. I want your advise on what needs to change in future applications (obviously not this year, but in the 2018). Following is the transcript of my interview:

Q: What's your purpose for visiting the U.S?
    A: To attend the Adobe Max Creative Conference. You can see the letter of invitation Adobe sent me in those documents (my documents were with the interviewer). https://speedtest.vet/ https://vidmate.bid/ https://wordtopdf.ltd/
    [Interviewer glances at invitation letter]

Q: Where is it held?
    A: Las Vegas

Q: Have you attended conferences like this before?
    A: No.

Q: What's your age?
    A: 25 years

Q: Where are you employed?
    A: I'm a freelance Graphic Programmer. I maintain an account at Upwork.com and also gets clients independently. I have presented my Upwork Certificate of Earning for your information.
    [I point to the certificate of earning. Officer looks at the document and mis-interprets that I'm working for Upwork]

Q: I thought you said you don't work anywhere?
    A: No, I don't. I'm paid as an independent contractor.
    [Officer looks closely and agrees]

Q: You got paid $10,000 last year?
    A: Through Upwork, yes. But I'm getting clients through GitHub and Twitter as well.

Q: How long are you planning to stay in the US?
    A: 5 days. I have attached my hotel booking information and flight information.

Q: Have you traveled to other countries before?
    A: No

Q: This is your first time?
    A: Yes.

Q: Are you married?
    A: No.

Q: Thank you for applying. Your visa application has been rejected and here's a letter detailing the reason
    [hands-over letter with the 214 (b) section]

Obviously marrying is out of the question. But other than that, anything else I can do to convince the officer that I don't plan to stay in the U.S.?
    Last edited by Sylus; 08-05-2020, 04:42 AM.

Basically you need to prove that you have strong ties to your home country & that you'll return after completing of the said visit. The onus is on you to prove that.

Travel+stay+meal+conference expenses would be easily $3000+ in Las Vegas. Imagine you showing that you'll spend 30% of your yearly income in 5 days, doesn't make any sense.

Having a permanent job with regular income, spouse/kids in home country, dependent parents, some property in your name in home country - these things prove that you still have ties to your home country & you'd return after the visit.

Single, with no regular income are highly suspected to immigrate to USA & hence B visas are not issued.
    - I am not an Attorney, hence not giving any legal advice. Just sharing MY opinion with an intent to help others.

If my opinion helping you, then please do click "like" button below.

Comment

Working...
    X