Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• N600 with no birth certificate

Hello,
    I am applying for my Certificate of Citizen and some of the supporting documents asked for my birth certificate, my parent's birth certificate and their marriage certificate. We were never issue any of those certificate as we were in a refugee camp.
    What documents can I provide in lieu of the certificates?

This is interesting. What is your claim to citizenship?

Comment

I've acquired citizenship though my parents. My Dad was naturalized in 1998 and my Mom was naturalized in 1999. I turned 18 on July 2001. My parents was born in Laos and I was born in Thailand. We came to the US in 1985 and became a LPR since.
      Both country do not supply any birth or marriage certificate. I know that I can also apply for a passport instead but I would like a copy of my Certificate of Citizen so it's on file.

Comment

You can obtain affidavits from both your parents attesting to your identity, parentage, and birth, as well as to their marriage. Affidavits from a third witness to your birth is ideal, as well as affidavits to other witnesses to your parents marriage. In addition, can you provide school records for your self naming your parents?

Comment

Why spend $1170 to apply for a Certificate of Citizenship? Why not just apply for a US passport?

This is my personal opinion and is not to be construed as legal advice.

Comment

Originally posted by inadmissible View Post
            You can obtain affidavits from both your parents attesting to your identity, parentage, and birth, as well as to their marriage. Affidavits from a third witness to your birth is ideal, as well as affidavits to other witnesses to your parents marriage. In addition, can you provide school records for your self naming your parents?
            I have an two affidavit for me already.

Can I combine the birth and marriage affidavits together since it will be from the same person?

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by newacct View Post
            Why spend $1170 to apply for a Certificate of Citizenship? Why not just apply for a US passport?
            Because my parents are getting old and finding the right information is a pain. So I figure get the COC to make things easier in the near future in case I loose my passport.

Comment

I got off the phone with USCIS and of course, they were not very helpful. The rep told me that I will need two affidavit which shouldn't be a problem. But since the letters are second evidence, I will also need a official government letter of non-availability birth certificate. I asked the rep as to where can I obtain the letter and he said he can't disclose the information. So how would I go about getting this letter of non-availability birth certificate?

Comment

Yes, you need an affidavit stating the non-availability of your birth certificate. You can get more information from an attorney because only an experienced one can help you otherwise you might not get it yourself. And keep your parents' document handy, you will need it later.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                X