Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Calculating Continous Residency

Hi There,

I need to know how to calculate permanent residency when applying for citizenship. I know that the applicant should have 36 months of continous residency after getting GC so how is that counted?

If anyone knows, then please let me know.

Thanks!

continuous residency

Hi,

The way you calculate residency is
    1. You should have completed 5 years or 4 yrs 9 mnths from the date you got ur GC.
    2. You should not have left the country for more than 180 days during this time. If you have then you have broken the condition for continuous residency. The clock gets reset and then you have to wait 4 yrs from when you came back(after those 6 mnths) to apply again.

Hope this helps.

Comment

Originally posted by mansmi18
      Hi,

2. You should not have left the country for more than 180 days during this time. If you have then you have broken the condition for continuous residency. The clock gets reset and then you have to wait 4 yrs from when you came back(after those 6 mnths) to apply again.

Hope this helps.
      I think thats just wrong !! Any single trip outside US shouldnt be more than 180 day. Physical presence in US must be at least 30 months total.

Check https://www.immihelp.com/us-naturalization-eligibility/

Comment

Out of country (more than 6 months) due to a health issue.

Hi,

As a family we (my wife, son and self) went to India in January this year. I came back US after 3 weeks. She is still in India with my son. She has been US permanent resident since April 2001, and now she is eligible to apply for US Citizentship. Unfortunately, she might need to stay over 6 months in India due to a health issue. However she will be back before 1 year completed. Will there be any problem returning to US? Will there be a problem becoming Citizenship once she comes back. Is there anything I should or can do from my side? Please advise.

Your response is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
        - Virudhun

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
        X