Process to get citizenship for daughter who is 11 years old

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Process to get citizenship for daughter who is 11 years old

My wife and I are getting citizenship in couple of months. What is the process to get citizenzhip for my daughter who is 11 years old?

I just got mine..

I was told that if you have children under 18 they automatically become citizen once you naturalize.

You can add their name in your form I think.

Otherwise they mentioned something about applying showing your naturalization certificate and proof of their birth certificate or something like that.

Comment

Minor child's citizenship

Children under 18 can derive citizenship based on Parents. So your 11 year old can apply for citizenship using N-600 form. Along with this form you will have to send in the original Naturalization certificate.

Hereunder is my prioritization of the processes:

1. Get Citizenship (get Naturalizatuon certificate after Oath)

2. Apply for Passport (now as a US citizen, the passport from your country will not be valid for travel. Your Naturalizatuon certificate cannot be used for travel). If you are expecting to travel very soon, you can get expedited delivery in two weeks. I applied for normal processing through the post office and got the passport delivered in 30 days. For emergencies the passport will be provided in a day, but you will have to travel in person to Miami or New York or some such with the proof of the emergency....
      At this time your child will still have a valid travel document such as a green card, whereas you don't.

3. Apply for visa or such stuff like PIO or OIC (for Indians)

4. At this time you can also apply citizenship for your child through N-600. At this point your child's green card must be surrendered.

Then go through the same process of applying for passport and visa for the kid....

Come to think of it, if your family always travels in one unit, never ever separately, it may be a good idea to apply for all the passports, visas, etc, together

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
      X